Need help with Shaping Armholes

Mikaela

Question

Hello! 

I am working on my first crochet sweater using this pattern: https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/jan_crochproj.html

I have reached the section called " Shape Raglan Armholes" and have become stuck. This part of the pattern consists of repeating two rows: 

Row 1: Right side. Sl st across first 2 sc, ch 1, work in pat as established to within last 4 sts, work next st in pat as established, sc in next st, leave off last 2 sts. Ch 1, turn.

Row 2: Sc in first st, dec 1 sc - draw up a loop in each of 2 sts, yo draw through all loops on hook, work pat as established to last 3 sts. dec 1 st, sc in end st. Ch 1, turn.

Row 3: Work in pat as established always working first and last st in sc. Repeat the last 2 rows 19 (20,21) times more - 21 (23,25) sts. Fasten off.

At first, the pattern seemed easy. But i realized that the way i am working will not result in the picture supplied in the pattern. In the image, both sides of the sweater have a little ledge and then decrease at the same pace until the end.  On the right side I see how the ledge will be created but i don't see how the same thing will happen on the wrong side. I think my problem may be with the "leave off last 2 sts" part. I just stoped crocheting in the last two on the right side. Is that correct?

Thank you so much for your help! 

fishchart1-1.gif

11 answers to this question

The ledge is made on the one side by slip stitching over 2 stitches and made on the other side by simply not working into the last 2 stitches.  You just ch 1 and turn your work leaving those stitches unworked.  

Brenda is correct: The ledge is made on the one side by slip stitching over 2 stitches and made on the other side by simply not working into the last 2 stitches.  You just ch 1 and turn your work leaving those stitches unworked.  

That is the shaping. 

Then the directions tell you to work in pattern always starting and ending the pattern with a sc.

Sl-st 2, work in pattern starting with sc, end with sc leaving 2 sts unworked, ch1 turn.

The shaping will not be "smoothed" ... that will occur when you make the sleeves

I've completes about six rows now and the right side looks just like the picture but the ledge is not forming on the left side at all. Should i just continue with it? It seems that decreasing a st at the end of the wrong side makes any slip stitching not actually create a ledge. I've attached a photo of how it looks. 

Thank's for all the help! 

IMG_1029.jpeg

Ok I want to verify that in working row 2 that you did not work into those 2 slip stitches you started row 1 with.  

The pattern could have said to break yarn at end of row of section before starting this row 1 and having you join in third stitch from the end but it makes for more ends to weave in and since the pieces are sewed together small imperfections will be in the seam and not seen.  Slip stitching across those two stitches were deemed ok by the designer as the better way to eliminate two stitches on that end in that row and following rows.

Also keep in mind they are using diagrams which show nice sharp angles instead of the crocheted piece where angles most likely will not be as pronounced.

Mikeala, could you take a close up photo of the left side of your garment. I can clearly see the shaping on th right, but the left is un clear.

The right looks good for shaping.

If I can see the left side better maybe I can comment.

I think your photo is showing the neckline at the right side of the photo, is that correct? (meaning, tilted 90° to the right of the pattern diagram's orientation).  I can't quite squint enough to count stitches,  but you are clearly decreasing on both ends.  

Very unscientifically holding a ruler up to my screen, it looks like the indents match distance-wise in from both edges.

10 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I hope this isn't horribly confusing.  I flipped the orientation so neckline is 'up"), and also flipped 1 side so they are aligned in the same direction so we can compare them.  

armhole shaping.jpg

I think what she is concerned about is not having that well defined little flat area (2 skipped stitches) that you see on your first picture but not the second picture.  Thats why I asked if she worked over the 2 slip stitches all the way to the end rather than stopping and turning in stitch prior to the slip stitches.

1 minute ago, bgs said:

I think what she is concerned about is not having that well defined little flat area (2 skipped stitches) that you see on your first picture but not the second picture.  Thats why I asked if she worked over the 2 slip stitches all the way to the end rather than stopping and turning in stitch prior to the slip stitches.

It does appear that is what has happened

Gothcha, and I agree, but was thinking that the initial indent shaping at the underarm would probably not matter a whole bunch as long as her stitch count was right. 

Mikaela, here is a way to analyze your pattern versus your work you can tell for yourself if you have gone astray, or not.  The numbers are specific to this pattern, but I use the general process all.the.time as a sanity check to see if I'm on track or not, or whether I or the pattern messed up.  

The body seems to be 65 (69,73) sts depending on size, before the armhole.  I'll use the smallest size to check st count.

Row 1: Right side. Sl st across first 2 sc, ch 1, work in pat as established to within last 4 sts, work next st in pat as established, sc in next st, leave off last 2 sts. Ch 1, turn. 

Row 2: Sc in first st, dec 1 sc - draw up a loop in each of 2 sts, yo draw through all loops on hook, work pat as established to last 3 sts. dec 1 st, sc in end st. Ch 1, turn.

Row 3: Work in pat as established always working first and last st in sc. Repeat the last 2 rows 19 (20,21) times more - 21 (23,25) sts. Fasten off.

Row 1 reduces the starting stitch count of 65 by 4, but is not part of the repeat.  Row 2, by 2.  Row 3, by zero.  The repeat is rows 2 & 3, so each repeat reduces the stitch count by 2.

For the smallest size, we start with 65 stitches before the armhole shaping, minus row 1-3 subtracts 4 for row 1, and 2 for row 2=6 sts decreased.    65-6=59 stitches remaining before the repeats. 

The smallest size repeats the pattern 19 times more, 19 times x2 stitches reduced per repeat =38 59 before the repeats minus 38 is 21, which agrees with the pattern.

Edited by Granny Square