Stuck on a pattern

Kbennett

Question

I am stuck on the 12th rnd.

12th rnd: Ch 4 *tr cl over shell on previous rnd (starting in tip of cl just made, turn, starting tr cl over shell just made twice) (cl loop) Repeat from * around. Join to first cl (20 cl loops)

5 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Kbennett said:

I am stuck on the 12th rnd.

12th rnd: Ch 4 *tr cl over shell on previous rnd (starting in tip of cl just made, turn, starting tr cl over shell just made twice) (cl loop) Repeat from * around. Join to first cl (20 cl loops)

1B04B636-E763-460E-A0AD-778050653F12.jpeg

1646C378-94D9-4938-A633-F858FD7AAF1C.jpeg

Bringing the line down so I don't have to scroll back and forth:

Orienting myself to the photo, it looks like round 7 is the innermost circle of open filet spaces, then rounds 8,9, and 10 are the solid ring beyond that.  Round 11 is a round of 6-treble shells. 

I don't blame you for scratching your head, I can tell at this point something unusual needs to happen next just by looking at the photo, but unless I am missing something (entirely possible), the wording of round 12 doesn't get you exactly there.  I can see it's meaning to tell you to make a cluster over the shell in round 11, and then turn and 'sprout' 2 shells over that, but I'm failing to see how it gets you back down to the level to the next shell in round 11 to repeat the process.

Hopefully someone else will come along and spot whatever I'm overlooking, but what I (personally) would do is something I've seen done in doily patterns before, where you make a petal shape by chaining up, make a few stitches, chain back down (the chains count as a stitches), slip stitching to 'scoot over', repeat.   Follow the photo for that round.

This is what I am getting.  Its rough as I am using yarn and did a quick rough set up round for round 11 to work into.

This one is making all the shells and clusters on top of each other.

20210406_192552.thumb.jpg.80bb532252c172d272be36a71cdcc7cf.jpg

Making cluster over shell made in round 11

20210406_192937.thumb.jpg.eb8338c89caa0f015eb4abf39a3e944d.jpg

20210406_193855.thumb.jpg.b4fef4fdd91da47cc8b075555e94dc74.jpg

Its rough but maybe it helps.

Thanks BGS, even just looking at your end 'blown up' end version, even tho it looks the same as the small thread version, allowed me to 'see' the path that I wasn't able to imagine by reading the directions--and the in-process photos helped quite a bit.  (This pattern would benefit from being diagrammed!).  I think, even though the pattern was calling it a loop, I wasn't visualizing it made like a loop.  Some of these vintage patterns are pretty ingenious!

If I may plagiarize your photo by numbering the order of the pieces of the leaves in the order they are made, in case the OP isn't seeing it...to the OP, the next segment would be a shell sprouting from cluster 11, like shell 7 sprouting from cluster 6.

doily petal order.jpg

Edited by Granny Square

17 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Thanks BGS, somehow looking at your 'blown up' version, even tho it looks the same as the small thread version, allowed me to 'see' the path that I wasn't able to imagine by reading the directions.  (This pattern would benefit from being diagrammed!).  I think, even though the pattern was calling it a loop, I wasn't visualizing it made like a loop.  Some of these vintage patterns are pretty ingenious!

If I may plagiarize your photo by numbering the order of the pieces of the leaves in the order they are made, in case the OP isn't seeing it...to the OP, the next segment would be a shell sprouting from cluster 11, like shell 7 sprouting from cluster 6.

doily petal order.jpg

Number away!

Once again this was not something I could visualize but with hook and yarn in hand taking it step by step it worked.