SC Blanket border

Nicolapen

Question

Attempting to do a row of SC stitches around my blanket. 

What is the best way to work along the buttom.

I did 5 SS followed by 5 HDC stitches (repeated with 1 more lot of SS) into the starting chain

3 answers to this question

Did you make your blanket working back and forth in rows?  If so you would sc into the bottom part of each chain in your foundation chain.

Anymore on my foundation chains I pretty much always work into what she is calling the back bump here because it leaves a nicer bottom edge.

Do you mean the blanket was " *5 sc +5 hdc, repeat " across each row, and you want to put a plain SC border all the way around?

Across the top and bottom is relatively easy, just put 1 stitch into 1 stitch.

You want to put 3 stitches into each corner; I like to do sc, chain, sc instead of 3 sc because it lies flatter and turns a sharper corner.  Along the sides, pick a spot and be consistent - you can work into the side of the stitch or try putting the edge stitch in between rows.

Pro tip - if you are edging a blanket in a different color, edge it all the way around in the blanket color, then another round in the contrast color.  Reason:  the first round along the 2 sides are going to look a little wonkier than the stitches across the sides and bottom.  If you get all the slightly wonky stitches out of the way in the same color as the blanket, the wonkiness won't be noticeable, and now all the way around the blanket is tidy stitch tops, so row 2 in a contrast color will look nice and smooth.

Edited by Granny Square

@grannysquare  @bgs Thanks for the help / tips 

I now know what to do.

Each row I worked back and forth turning at the end

I alternated between 5 slip stitches and 5 HDC stitches (textured wave stitch)

Pictures shows what the right side looks like

20210406_081502.jpg

Edited by Nicjane