How to expand one pattern repeat

Leandri

Question

I've been reading Leonie Morgan's '100 Colourful ripple stitches'. Some of the patterns are an unusual shape, and have no explanation of how to expand upon the pattern. One pattern repeat is given as, for example (as with the Arcade pattern), 22cm (8.75inch) x 22cm (8.75inch), but how do I expand this into a much bigger afghan or blanket? See photo of the Arcade pattern from the book.

Pattern2.jpg

4 answers to this question

I'm not a designer, and don't want to break any copy rights of the original designer, but my advice is to observe how the pattern is 'sprouting' in each direction, because it forms a pattern.  Sort of like a granny square, except stuff happens at the corners as well as the vertical and horizontal center lines.

Look at the horizontal and vertical spines, how (beyond row 1) the pattern of 'spine shells' (number of center stitches, made into 1 stitch) is 3, 3, 5, repeat.

The 'crossways' spines start with 6, and then 2 sets of 3 for the rest of the way, 1 set made into the 'direct descendant' of the 3rd stitch of 6 in row 2, the other in to the 'direct descendant' of the 4th stitch (hope that makes sense).

If you are thinking of turning it into 1 big blanket, keep in mind that the 'bumps' in the middle of each side are going to look like tiny pimples, because they don't grow  in proportion to the rest of the square; this may be why they didn't give you increase instructions.  

@grannysquare @bgs Thanks so much for your responses. I really just thought it might be more complicated than that, and simply repeating the same rows have let me down in other patterns previously. I am relatively new at crochet and making sense of stitches and patterns, so I’m going to try the repeat and hope it all works out.