Is this blanket stitch? This was given to my son when he was born 35 years ago. Blanket stitch doesn’t seem to quite match. I have stretched it a bit for clarity. Thanks!

Question

14 answers to this question

I don't know of any stitch called 'blanket stitch', before I opened this thread I thought it was going to be about a Tunisian aka Afghan stitch.

This appears to be a variety of V stitch, it looks like it is 2dc, chain x (probably x=2), 1 DC.  The V stitches are made in the chain spaces of V stitches below.

A V stitch is just xDC, chain y, zDC.   X, Y and Z can be all the same number or different numbers; in my Stich Dictionary V stitches are "filed with" shell stitches, they are sort of shell stitches with chains in the middle.  

Just now, Granny Square said:

I don't know of any stitch called 'blanket stitch', before I opened this thread I thought it was going to be about a Tunisian aka Afghan stitch.  Crochet stitch names are not a consistent thing, some stitches have many names and 1 name can cover many different stitches.

This appears to be a variety of V stitch, it looks like it is 2dc, chain x (probably x=2), 1 DC.  The V stitches are made in the chain spaces of V stitches below.

A V stitch is just xDC, chain y, zDC.   X, Y and Z can be all the same number or different numbers; in my Stich Dictionary V stitches are "filed with" shell stitches, they are sort of shell stitches with chains in the middle.  

Thanks, I will experiment. I looked at many photos online and blanket stitch was the closest but not quite right. This kind of looks like, to me, 2DC, a single crochet into the space between the doubles and the single from the previous row. But that still doesn’t quite work. I also have an Afghan from our wedding 37 years ago with same pattern. Maybe same lady (long gone) did both!

1 minute ago, Netina said:

Ok I am getting there. I am trying 2DC, chain one and sc. 

Did you view the video?

It is very similar to the stitch pattern BGS linked, but BGS' linked pattern is 1 DC, ch2, 1 SC, (4 sts per repeat).

I'm seeing 2 DCs, ? chain(s), 1 SCin the OP's photo.  (repeat is 4 sts if you chain 1 instead of 2). 

Meaning, if you MOSTLY follow BGS' linked pattern (but exchanging the first chain in the V stitch for a DC) it should work and look the same and lie flat by keeping the stitch count of the V stitch at 4 stitches--in other words  2 DC, ch1, 1 SC.

And sorry for the double post earlier, I have no idea what I did there :shrug 

Edited by Granny Square
1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

It is very similar to the stitch pattern BGS linked, but BGS' linked pattern is 1 DC, ch2, 1 SC, (4 sts per repeat).

I'm seeing 2 DCs, ? chain(s), 1 SCin the OP's photo.  (repeat is 4 sts if you chain 1 instead of 2). 

Meaning, if you MOSTLY follow BGS' linked pattern (but exchanging the first chain in the V stitch for a DC) it should work and look the same and lie flat by keeping the stitch count of the V stitch at 4 stitches--in other words  2 DC, ch1, 1 SC.

And sorry for the double post earlier, I have no idea what I did there :shrug 

After starting rows with 1 dc, ch 2, sc the remainder of the rows are 2 dc, ch 2, sc into space.

It does look like [2 dc, ch, 1 sc] repeat across a base ch, the other rows are worked in the ch spaces. Project Linus had something like that, I think it was called Bubbles. Try ProjectLinus.com (or .org ?). Good luck.

Ellie 13

I remember that Bubbles pattern, in fact I made one ages ago for a neighbor's grandbaby, but that one didn't look quite the same; the OP's example one is more V stitch-like (the pattern in 2 halves, with a gap) and the bubble's pattern is more single solid bumps - here's the Bubbles blanket pattern

https://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/patterns/bubbles_baby_blanket.php

So just at a glance, it looks like a scaled-back version of the drunken granny stitch that I have been working on.  The only difference I can spot is that yours only has 2 DC before the chain, and the drunken granny has 4 (lots of good tutorials out there).  Looks like the same principle, just with fewer stitches hence it is more open.  Don't know if this helps you!  Good luck! 🧡

20210325_200749.jpg

On 3/18/2021 at 1:00 PM, ReniC said:

It could very well be a Blanket Stitch. Here's a tutorial (written and video) that might help.

I think you are right. That is a "Blanket Stitch"

Krys