Chainless Foundation off of MC

splent2112

Question

I feel like I'm never going to get this done, but this is the last thing I'm confused about (hopefully). This is a piece that's supposed to be sewn on to the body of the amigurumi. The directions are as follows:

Rnd 1: 6 sc in MC (6)

Row 2: 1 ch, turn, inc x 6 (12)

Row 3: 7 sc with chainless foundation method

and it goes from there.

I have NO IDEA how to chainless foundation off of a MC. Every video I see is a chainless foundation from the beginning, and when I try to do it that way it gets all janky. 

Here is the pattern again; it's the coat part of the pattern.

https://www.miahandcrafter.com/atelier/piplup-pattern/

4 answers to this question

Oh thats interesting what the designer did.  First of all I have just started practicing using foundation single crochet and found it a little tricky for awhile.  If you are not used to doing that stitch you might need to practice it a bit before trying it in this pattern.

Really as far as this pattern goes at the end of row 2 just immediately start your foundation single crochets and dont think about the other part (rows 1 and 2) attached to them.  Just treat that part right now as you would that end of yarn you would have there if you started the piece with foundation single crochets.  

That is interesting!

So the "hard part" is determining where to insert the hook to get that first base chain started.  I would look closely at the side of the last sc just made, preferring to insert under two strands, and try to not pull this first base chain tight.

Foundation stitches are used in filet doilies to 'work into the air' at the end of rows.  Normally the last stitch made into a 'normal' stitch is a foundation-style stitch too, to give a foundation for the rest of the stitches that will follow it 'in the air'.  This sounds like the same concept would apply for your pattern if I'm visualizing it correctly.

47 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Foundation stitches are used in filet doilies to 'work into the air' at the end of rows.  Normally the last stitch made into a 'normal' stitch is a foundation-style stitch too*, to give a foundation for the rest of the stitches that will follow it 'in the air'.  This sounds like the same concept would apply for your pattern if I'm visualizing it correctly.

* I should have said extended stitch, which is identical to a foundation stitch that doesn't get another stitch worked into it's side.

• Like 1