Help with crochet pattern

Chloeleighbee

Question

Help! I’m a beginner doing a pattern from yarnspirations, the red heart vertical ridges crochet hat for him. The beginning of the pattern is clear, as I’m going back and forth doing scbl, mixing sc and sl st to start the rows. It appears like a rectangle despite the picture not looking that way, and the final instructions are confusing as they say after 13 rows: “Ch 1. 1 scbl in each sc to last sc. work across ends of Unworked sts from previous 13 rows: (1 scbl in next sc. 1 sc next sl st) 6 times. Turn. 37 sc”. Then I’m supposed to repeat another 13 rows plus that instruction.  

What does this mean? Can someone help me understand what to do in that last row?

6 answers to this question

You are working back and forth, in a sort-of-rectangle-ish strip at the start, from the face edge to the crown of the head and back, which makes the ribbing vertical.

The pattern says 'side to side, which is misleading; it's 90° from the way one normally works hats, but it's not side to as in 'side to side across the head, parallel to the floor'.

I'm not sure I'd call the pattern easy...one one hand it is simple in terms of stitches used, but it's a little mind-bending construction-wise even if one has made hats before.  You will be making strips that taper to wedges at the top of the hat.  Also, only 4 rows are spelled out but there are really dozens more, there are imbedded repeats.

• Thanks 1

Thanks so so much for your help! That makes sense to me, but I’m having trouble seeing how the tapering to wedges is happening. Do I flip it ninety degrees after having done the first 13 rows? I’m having trouble understanding the instructions in “Next row”. Here’s a picture of the instructions and what it looks like after completing (most) of the first 13 rows. Thanks again for helping me understand what to do next!! It’s much appreciated s 

A59CF709-A048-4C61-8655-5D77881F9604.jpeg

98ADDF8B-E646-4341-A34D-D6A14EC36F70.jpeg

After studying the pattern and what you have I am afraid you need to pull it out and start over.  Note on row 3 where it says 1 scbl in each sc to last sc. Turn. Leave rem sts unworked (sc and sl st)

It does not say work to end of row like it did in rows 1 and 2 which is what it looks like you have done.

On row 3 you work scbl across until you have 1 unworked sc and sl st remaining in previous row.  These are the remaining stitches it is telling you to not work.  You just turn and dont work them.  Repeating the rows as instructed causes the slant on one side as shown in the photo.  

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bgs said:

After studying the pattern and what you have I am afraid you need to pull it out and start over.  Note on row 3 where it says 1 scbl in each sc to last sc. Turn. Leave rem sts unworked (sc and sl st)

It does not say work to end of row like it did in rows 1 and 2 which is what it looks like you have done.

On row 3 you work scbl across until you have 1 unworked sc and sl st remaining in previous row.  These are the remaining stitches it is telling you to not work.  You just turn and dont work them.  Repeating the rows as instructed causes the slant on one side as shown in the photo.  

That makes sense, thank so much Brenda! I pulled it out and am restarting.  Could you help me wrap my head around the final/next row instructions? It makes a bit more sense now that I understand what the unworked stitches are. Any guidance you can give me is much appreciated!

Where it says Next row you will be working back across to the side with the slant.  Then you work down the slant.  On the slant you are working into those sc and sl st that you left unworked.  You work 1 scbl in the sc and sc in the sl st.  Do this sequence 6 times.  You should have a total of 37 sc ( scbl are after all sc---they are just worked in the back loop)

After this I have a hard time visualizing what its going to look like but that happens to me a lot when dealing with something I havent done before.  In these cases if I do what the pattern says more often than not it works out just fine.

We are at the point in the pattern where you go back and repeat everything between the two sets of ** 5 more times.  Dont overthink it.  There are 37 sc including those you worked on the slant.  Those stitches are now part of your row and you will be leaving unworked stitches once again---just keep following the pattern.  This is what shapes the crown part of the hat.

• Thanks 1

You can see what's happening on the pattern photo.  Like BGS said, don't overthink it, a lot of times you'll read something in a pattern and think "what are they thinking, that's never going to work/doesn't make any sense", but most of the time you'll  learn a brand new nifty thing :idea  when you follow the instruction exactly, occasionally you find it really was a pattern error :irk but you can (hopefully) figure out what it meant to say by how it went wrong.  I still follow this philosophy after decades of crocheting and am still learning nifty new things (but also sometimes ripping and debugging pattern errors..)  

It's in segments, one end is pointed (it is wider at the brim end and narrows toward the top of the head); your first row is long (goes all the way to the top of the head), then the rows get shorter, shorter, shorter closer to the brim...then you start a new segment just like the first. Remember the first row of the first segment was the longest, but you were working over a chain; now for the second segment for the first row you will be working exactly the same as the first  except first part are worked over normal stitches at the brim end and then 'off a cliff' over the last stiches of the shorter rows of the first section; each remaining section will be like the second section.  At the end, you seam from brim to top of the head.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1