Stuck with Pattern and no clue how to continue...

PiaP.

Question

Dear Community, 

I am temporarily crocheting kind of a beanie from a pattern I found on Pinterest. It came without any instructions.

I am not a very advanced crochet person but since I taught myself already lots of crafts like knitting, origami and am a studied mens tailor I considered myself as creative enough to solve problems, since I am left-handed and used to think the other way round... 

the pattern is not very difficult itself and the level quite easy...until this ONE particular point...before and after, all is fine.

I am stuck on this since a while, did other projects in the meantime, hoping my subconsciousness would come up with a solution. 

Many attempts to solve turned out not successful.

I wanted to finish it to give away as a birthday present soon but I still have no clue how to proceed...can the collective knowledge help me find a solution??

I have marked all rows with colours for better overview because I thought  I got mixed up...

1. until R19 everything is really easy
  2. then I close R19 with a slip stitch 
  3. and then I don't understand how to continue...
  4. my problem are these 4dtr in (I call it) R20
  5. if I do 2tr/tc/dtr as the beginning R20 how do I get to the next pair of tr/tc/dtr...slip stiching is not reasonable
  6. if I do start the set of tr/tc/dtr with 4ch and continue with 3dtr and continue with R21 it works until the next section of 4dtr s, which I can not do because crocheting the first dtr would join it with the 3ch from R21 and therefore fuse R20 with R21

Anyone any idea? I am sorry I can not express my problem any better, but I still hope crochet pros might find it really easy and bring light into what is now darkness and confusion..

Best regards and hoping for help

Pia

IMG_7559.jpg

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

The part in question are the 2 areas highlighted in red, which are each 2 sets of 2 DTR stitches , correct?

I don't think the red stitches should be there at all.  For one thing, they should match each other but they don't (one is //\\ the other is \\//, they are in the same spot in the pattern, (above a 'leaf' shape), so they should match.

I think the purple stitches should all go into the chain spaces in the green row.

Even if 'something else' was supposed to happen that neither of us is thinking of, if omitting the red stitches looks good to you, isn't that the important thing?

Thank you so much Granny Square. 

Yes the part in the question are the to red highlighted areas, the set of DTR stitches.

I totally agree with you, the presence of these sets of DTR stitches seems unrelated to the remaining pattern and therefore they shouldn't be there at all. 

I was wondering, if omitting the red stitches might effect the shape and fit of the beanie. In my mind they were fulfilling the function of reducing the 

circumference of the beanie, like holding it short...so far the beanie itself is rather flat like a table cloth and not head shaped so I was kind of hoping these questionable DTRs would do the shaping. But how, if there's no way to crochet them...

I will follow your recommendation and omit the red stitches and continue with the purple row after the green

I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it works out.  I mostly make doilies actually, and while obviously designers use chain spans to get from point A to point B, I suspect they also use them to help to keep something flat, because you can't stretch or scrunch up other stitches for the most part, but you can do so for chain spans (some doilies will several rows of nothing but chain spans, and then something else 'happens').  The fact that these phantom stitches were 'into' chain spans, in other words that spot is really just a chain span, should make the pattern more flexible (I hope).

I was thinking you were using the word 'beanie' as a generic word for 'hat', and thought it was going to be more of a beret / tam /slouchy style. It reminded me of a tam I made where the top was sort of a flat doily about the size of a dinner plate (a little more solid pattern tho), and then it decreased back down to fit the head.

Edited by Granny Square