Linda

linHealy

Question

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  Is this a free pattern on the net that you could link to so we can see the directions and what the finished item looks like, or if is is a paid-for pattern, could you give us a tiny bit more to go on?

What does the pattern say to do next?  Are his legs close together?  Totally guessing, because there are lots of ways to make legs, but a 2 legged item might transition from the body to the crotch by making a figure 8 shape to close the torso and start the legs, then you finish 1 leg, and go back and finish the other.  It's OK to post a line or 2 of the pattern here, just don't post the whole thing.

The pattern says, chain 10, sc in 2nd chain from hook, 7sc, 3sc in next st, 7sc, 2sc in next st, 2sc in next st (24)

I'm a beginner and my granddaughter gave me Kristen Rask's  The Wizard of Oz kit for Christmas.  I've manged to figure out the other parts but I'm having a lot of difficulty following the directions for the Body/Legs

I found the tin man, not the pattern but a photo of someone's project on Ravelry.  These leg's construction look like what I was describing above.  There were comments on Ravelry about other Oz character patterns from the same source that got posted under the tin man's pattern, the comments were pretty much 'there are a lot of errors in the pattern' but nothing specific. 

Is the hook is still attached to the torso, before you chain 10?  So there are some number of stitches around the torso, and you chain 10, so at this point you could potentially work across the chain and just continue across the torso.

" chain 10, sc in 2nd chain from hook, 7sc, 3sc in next st, 7sc, 2sc in next st, 2sc in next st (24)" (just re-pasting this so I don't have to scroll). 

The part that I have bolded above will be worked across the 10 chains: the leftmost numbers bolded below are counting the chains--

1-skip

2-sc

3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9- 1 sc in each of 7 chains, total of 7 sc in this group, subtotal is 9 chains used so far and 8 sc made at this point, 1 chain to go

10 - the instructions say 3 sc in next stitch, not next chain which is concerning.  To this point we have a total of 8+3=11 SC.

The part after the bolded section of that line above uses 7+1+1 = 9 stitches used, but creates 7+2+2 =11 stitches for this portion, so we have 22 not 24 as the pattern is saying.  Check my math; is this what you are coming up with? 

I am also not picturing how these 10 chains are transitioning the torso into the legs; in the 'figure 8' leg transition I was describing earlier, and what the photo in the link appears to be, what happened is that you had some number of stitches in a circle for the torso, and then you made some (small) number of chains spanning the circle midway to form the crotch, so there's your figure 8. 

I'm going to describe the 'figure 8' leg creation in general terms just in case you need to abandon some details of the pattern and 'wing' your way through the legs by borrowing this concept.

Making up numbers (because I'm not sure if the 24 stitches you 'should' have in that pattern line is the torso or one leg or what), let's say the torso was 20 stitches around total, and there were 4 chains across for the crotch.   You'd work around half the torso (10 stitches) and 1 loop of each of the 4 crotch chains as the first round of the first leg to the feet (so 14 stitches around for the first leg) then complete the first leg and foot, Then you'd  come back and repeat for the other leg using the remaining loop of the 4 crotch chains and the 10 remaining torso stitches for the other leg.