Friction burn from crochet hook

Izzyjames

Question

Hi!

I am getting a friction burn on my ‘hook’ hand when I crochet. I hold my hook in my right hand in a knife hold and I’m getting a burn where the base of my little finger joins my hand on the outside (if that makes sense!) 

ive tried to hold my hook differently but I’ve been crocheting like this for so long it’s hard to change. 

any tips please?!?  Thanks in advance! 

7 answers to this question

I have, I guess you'd call them mild callouses (thick skin areas) on my fingers where 'stuff happens' when I knit and crochet - example on my left front finger from knitting, I hold my yarn in my left hand knitting and crocheting and it's a combination of the yarn running past that part and in knitting, I think my needle brushes that same spot too.  And one on a similar spot on my right hand, I think it's from gripping the hook (pencil style).

I made myself a felted thimble for my left hand one if it gets sore (no pattern), but otherwise - a quilter's thimble might work, you might have to wrap something around your finger for it to fit you little finger as it's meant for the forefinger, or maybe just a plain bandage while you are crocheting.

You're welcome.  I just looked around, I wonder if something like this would work, shapewise these are exactly like the felted wool thimble I made myself.  Back in ancient times, when I started working in the last century (gaaa!), these were used to flip thru paperwork quickly.

These didn't occur to me when I went looking for one, I looked a thimbles at the fabric store and decided to make one instead...The only thing that might be an issue is that they have a slightly grippy texture; I don't think yarn would hang up on it, tho.

edited to change link to smaller qty/less expensive choice

Edited by Granny Square

My aunt who's 90, blisters very easily when crocheting or knitting and puts pieces of this tape on hers hands where the yarn rubs on her left and the hook sits on her other hand. She buys it at her local pharmacy and says it works great. I did forget to ask how difficult it is to remove it.

Edited by ReniC