Please help me create a pattern for this dress!!

Andreacrochet101

Question

Hi everyone!

I saw this dress on pinterest and FELL IN LOVE. After some googling I realized that the dress is called "Whitsundays Knit Dress Multi" and is sold on beginningboutique.com. I immediately knew that I wanted to crochet the dress myself. I have tried for the past couple of days to find suitable patterns or youtube tutorials that could help me with this, but I haven't found any good ones. And I am somewhat of a beginner at crocheting, so I can't create my own patterns yet. So thats why I'm here! Is there anyone that has any idea on how I can remake this dress? I love it so much and am so excited to make it! The link to the dress is here: https://www.beginningboutique.com/products/whitsundays-knit-dress-multi#reviews

Help me please!!! 🥺🙏

9 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

How 'new' of a beginner are you?  Have you sewn (fabric) garments, or crocheted other garments before?  (this is helpful for designing garments to know how shaping works, where to nip and tuck (or the opposite) to get the best fit.

Searching for a 'halter top' is probably the way to go, because that is the 'hard part'; the skirt seems to be pretty much a tube, maybe with a little decreasing at the waist and increasing at the hips.

I'll see if I can find anything close...

• Like 1

Not finding anything for a halter dress either.  Some free halter top patterns if you are interested--I'm not sure that the 'filter' works if you are not a member, but I sorted on ' free, crochet, English' on the left menus and 'halter-neck' in the search box (without the '  ' )

• Like 1

Thank you! I have crocheted some stuff earlier (a bralette and some cases for example) but this dress is the biggest challenge yet, especially since I don't even have a pattern to follow. I think that I'm going to make it as easy as possible for myself and crochet a tube skirt. I am not really confident about the increase/decrease yet either, so I might just use a stretchy yarn and skip increasing/decreasing (i'm not that curvy either so it won't be that big of an issue, haha). The top part is more of a challenge. I am going to take it one step at a time. I'll have to find a solution when I'm finished with the skirt... 

Good luck with your project, I agree a 'tube style skirt' is the way to go, but it probably won't be exactly a tube.  Look at the photo, it widens from the bra under-bra to the hem, you will have to measure yourself and figure out how wide it needs to be at the waist and hem, and the distance below the under-bra you have to achieve a comfortable ease at the waist, hip and beyond. 

Ease means the difference between your actual body measurement and the garment; you will want the dress a little bigger than 'you' to be comfortable and be able to get in and out of it (positive ease-- this is why skin-tight fabric dresses usually have zippers in the back, you will have to rely on the stretch of the crochet stitches).

• Like 1

You got some good advice.

I went ahead and searched Ralvelry and found 3 pages of halter dresses.  Some are for children.  Some are no longer available.  There are a few with links to etsy or to buy through Ralvery that might fit what you are looking for.  You have to be a member to look and to buy through them but it is free to join.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#craft=crochet&query=halter dress&sort=best&view=captioned_thumbs

Good luck! :)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, georgianaomi said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUy3NNeaLWU

This is an in depth and very helpful tutorial for the exact dress! The creator also linked a pattern that costs $6 🙂

WOW! You found that Video & pattern. I guess the ladies here have amazing ability's ...They can find anything and everything!! :).

That dress is very easy to make for someone with some experience in crocheting.

Dress like that would need a "skinny liner" under, or never to sit down in that dress LOL. Without a lining under that dress on the  behind part would STRETCH.  It would form a hanging "extra fabric"- like a part of a deflated balloon. And that would not look very good. Unless someone is not planning to sit down at all wearing that dress than that dress would be OK LOL (would keep the original shape). That lining would need to be sewn using  NONE stretch fabric. Tiny bit smaller than the size of that dress around hips.

For me it was very interesting to watch that video. I NEVER seen anyone crochet that way. On the other hand I never seen left handed person crocheting. I just wonder if all left handed people are crocheting same way??.

Thanks for that Video :)

Krys

Yes it was interesting to watch her crochet.  I have seen lefties crochet before but not like this.  Interesting that she uses the hook in her left hand but every yarn over switches hook to right hand to hold hook while using her left hand to put the yarn over hook then puts hook back in left hand to pull yarn thru.