Sleeves

Spore

Question

Having trouble with my crochet pattern. Making a shaped pullover called Elizabeth by melissa leapman.  Following the half double crochet pattern, to start the sleeves it says chain 44. Beg solid hdc part, and inc 1 st each side every other row 4 times then every fourth row 5 times. 61 st total. Then cont even in part as established until piece measures approx 10 3/4.   I have tried multiple times and I just can't seem to get it right.  Can anyone help 😃

9 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  Is this the part that is confusing?

"inc 1 st each side every other row 4 times then every fourth row 5 times"

If so, in the below, the numbers are the row numbers, (numbering starting at the first increase) and noted whether you increase, other rows listed are not increased (in other words "1 inc /2 no" means row 1 is increased at each end, row 2 no increases):

every other row 4 times:

1 inc /2 no

3 inc /4 no

5 inc /6 no

7 inc /8 no

every fourth row 5 times

9 inc / 10, 11, 12 no

13 inc / 14, 15, 16 no

17 inc c 18, 19, 20 no

21 inc/ 22, 23, 24 no

25 inc/ 26, 27, 28 no

I find it's a good idea to put a stitch marker at the end of each increase row, in this case they are all odd numbers where the increases happen so the beginning of each row will be on the same side of the sleeve for easier counting.

26 minutes ago, Spore said:

Yes, I have a book. 

While trying to follow the pattern, I can't seem to get the 61 total stitches at the end.  Just started to try it again this morning. I  chained the 44 then the stitches going into that I am starting the row 1 with the inc.  

20 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I just saw your question after my post - yes, the "row 1 inc / row 2 no" etc was just telling you how to count which rows you would execute the pattern instruction for the increases which is an increase at each end of the indicated row.

Thank you so much!  That helped a lot and I am pretty sure I got the hang of it.