Yarn buying vicious circle

I bought a Caron One Pound skein of yarn to make a prayer shawl and only used half of it. So I started another and used up the yarn halfway through it. So I bought another one pounder same color. I have tons and tons of yarn but not that yarn in that color. What a dilemma. I’m positive some can relate. 

• Haha 2

Yes indeed it is frustrating. I suppose I should start digging through my stash first before I buy more. But I’d probably hurt myself trying to get in that closet. Not that it’s all in a closet. It’s here there and everywhere. I really need to organize. 

One thing I try to do every year is just use up some of that left over yarn in a project.  There are yarns I will buy over and over again because they are colors/weights I use constantly.  However in that stash are yarns that either seemed like a good idea at the time or are left over from long finished projects that I won't be buying again.  Finishing off those yarns that I won't use again and won't buy again are the only way I'm ever going to decrease my stash.

• Like 1

Hah! I do the same and just never seem to have the right colors. I have many plastic storage bins in a huge closet in my garage, the whole length of a wall. And in my studio/office, a full cabinet of yarn. Not to mention, the projects by my recliner in the living room. I know, I'm bad about yarn. I'm the same way about my paints and beads. I do try to use up what I have, but sometimes it just doesn't work. My DD asked me to be sure and put in my will what to do with all my yarn, hooks and art supplies once I'm gone.  LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe we should start buying only white color yarns and dye them to the colors we need LOL

That way we would be stocking- up on different Dye's. That would take up a lot less space than all those yarns.....:.................................................................................................................................................

I am joking :)

Krys

• Like 1

I do use yarn from my stash often. The thing is I can make something out of stash yarn and then think wow this would look nice in another color or different type of yarn and end up buying more. Again the vicious circle. I made my dogs hats and sweaters and then bought a bunch of Bernat Baby Blanket yarn to make them warmer ones. And of course I always buy more than I need. 

I don't have an issue with the stash I use.  I am just getting critical about the stash I don't  which is why I've been targeting for projects. I've certainly bought yarn this past year during COVID but I've also made plenty of projects where I've walked into my yarn storage and pulled out exactly what I needed without even to think about purchasing yarn and I love that ability.  What bothers me is when I go in there and see yarn that has been there way to long and needs to go to make room for the yarn I do use frequently now.

Each year I've had success targeting that supply.  I've used some for the doll donations and other projects but there is more to go and I have to be mindful about looking for it and thinking what can I make with this yarn because it needs to leave this room.  I'm to the point I was able to get everything into storage bins this fall.  Now i just want to need fewer bins for yarn I don't really plan on keeping.

• Like 1

Goodness, you all sound like me.....chuckling.  I used to have several totes of partially spent skeins, small leftovers and unneeded colors.  I hated seeing all that yarn just sitting there but I knew I wouldn't get it used up in my lifetime so last year I began putting any reasonable sized leftover skeins into a 2 gallon ziplock.  I keep it by my projects chair so I don't forget.  Then once the bag is filled I drop it off at either my local charity/thrift store, the City's craft department or the senior center.  The city has a "yarn bomb" event every spring and they give away the yarn to participants and use the rest for kids activities throughout the year.   Barbara

• Like 2

4 hours ago, papersmiles said:

Goodness, you all sound like me.....chuckling.  I used to have several totes of partially spent skeins, small leftovers and unneeded colors.  I hated seeing all that yarn just sitting there but I knew I wouldn't get it used up in my lifetime so last year I began putting any reasonable sized leftover skeins into a 2 gallon ziplock.  I keep it by my projects chair so I don't forget.  Then once the bag is filled I drop it off at either my local charity/thrift store, the City's craft department or the senior center.  The city has a "yarn bomb" event every spring and they give away the yarn to participants and use the rest for kids activities throughout the year.   Barbara

That is a great idea.  I wait till I fill a box and send it to one of the girls here, who uses it for charity.

I am now in the process of finding a skein of yarn I got last week:think.  I know it is here in the house, but damn if I can find it.  I am ready to pull the hair out:thair.  I will find it when I am not looking for it.:sigh

On 2/7/2021 at 12:15 PM, Tampa Doll said:

That is a great idea.  I wait till I fill a box and send it to one of the girls here, who uses it for charity.

I am now in the process of finding a skein of yarn I got last week:think.  I know it is here in the house, but damn if I can find it.  I am ready to pull the hair out:thair.  I will find it when I am not looking for it.:sigh

Don't forget to call out for it, "Here Yarnie, Yarnie, Yarnie". :rofl Hope you found it.