Forum software has been upgraded this morning Jan 31, 2021

Donna

I posted this on another thread, but it's worth reiterating here.

These forum upgrades MUST be applied for security fixes and bug fixes. Without upgrades, software of any type cannot continue to function indefinitely. Also, the developers are continually incorporating new features that are requested by the customers (forum owners) who buy and pay for the forum software. Styles are often changed in the process of an upgrade, but I do not have a choice to selectively apply parts of upgrades – it all comes as one package.

Crochetville – or any forum or any software or any device – cannot function without software upgrades. It is possible to get away with not installing upgrades right away, but in the end, upgrades are inevitable.

On 2/1/2021 at 9:54 AM, bgs said:

I hate to say this but the font in the posts is actually too large.   typing into dialogue box its too small.  Both were fine before upgrade.    I am on mobile on android smartphone so need good balance between size and use of screen space.  I only come here on my phone.

@bgs Ok, I wanted to revisit this issue. On my iPhone, the font is readable, but fairly small and it's the same size in the posts and typing in the reply box. I don't want to make a change that would work for Android (if that's what the source of the font size problem you're experiencing is) and not work for iPhone. So I'll have to research this further.

Thank you Donna for checking and thank you for all the explanations as I really dont have a clue or understand all the behind the scene things required to take care of a website.  After reading about the ipad problems I feel lucky that it even works on my android phone.  Its just weird having the font in the posts being so large yet so small typing in the dialogue box.  On my side of the screen its why cant there be a happy medium but for you its having to adjust possibly multiple things because making a change in one place could mess up multiple others.  Makes me glad my phone with the smaller screen quit and I replaced it with a larger screen.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bgs said:

Thank you Donna for checking and thank you for all the explanations as I really dont have a clue or understand all the behind the scene things required to take care of a website.  After reading about the ipad problems I feel lucky that it even works on my android phone.  Its just weird having the font in the posts being so large yet so small typing in the dialogue box.  On my side of the screen its why cant there be a happy medium but for you its having to adjust possibly multiple things because making a change in one place could mess up multiple others.  Makes me glad my phone with the smaller screen quit and I replaced it with a larger screen.

Brenda, thank you so much for your understanding and patience with this. Do you know if your Android phone is updated to the most recent OS?

1 hour ago, bgs said:

Yes it says android system is up to date, last check 4:13 pm

Ok, thank you! Knowing that is helpful, because that's the one of the first things support always asks.

Hi Donna: Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for Crochetville. It's been a big part of my life. Especially for the past 2+ years. After being my husbands caregiver during his battle with cancer, him loosing his battle, then Covid-19 affecting us all, I can't describe how much I appreciate my being a member on here. You are greatly appreciated for keeping it going as well as you do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ReniC said:

Hi Donna: Just wanted to pop in and say thank you for Crochetville. It's been a big part of my life. Especially for the past 2+ years. After being my husbands caregiver during his battle with cancer, him loosing his battle, then Covid-19 affecting us all, I can't describe how much I appreciate my being a member on here. You are greatly appreciated for keeping it going as well as you do.

Ditto for me I couldnt say it any better!

1 hour ago, NCcountrygal said:

Donna I haven’t read through this thread to see if it’s been mentioned. Not sure if you can do anything with images. Curious why uploads of photos post sideways. Like they turn image right/sideway.  No biggie. Only issue I’ve noticed

I had this issue when I first got my smartphone and started uploading photos from it.  After researching I learned I needed to turn my phone sideways and wait for my last photo taken in the little circle to  turn and orient right side up for photos to post here oriented correctly.  Does not matter that photo appears ok on my phone or if I rotate photo on my phone.  It had something to do with the way the site software deals or rather doesnt deal with info from my phone. 

Just did a test upload to see if upgrade changed something but it was ok.

Edited by bgs
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ReniC said:

Ditto again! Everyone is so supportive and helpful here. Even when life gets in the way of posting much, I try to come by and read the threads to see what's going on with everyone. I would miss the group horribly if I couldn't.

On 2/5/2021 at 2:37 PM, ReniC said:

Thank you, Reni! :heartI appreciate hearing that so much. I'm so sorry about your husband. I'm glad that Crochetville could be here for you during difficult times. :hug

On 2/5/2021 at 2:40 PM, bgs said:

Ditto for me I couldnt say it any better!

Thank you, Brenda! :heart

On 2/5/2021 at 7:16 PM, greyhoundgrandma said:

Ditto again! Everyone is so supportive and helpful here. Even when life gets in the way of posting much, I try to come by and read the threads to see what's going on with everyone. I would miss the group horribly if I couldn't.

Thank you, Mona! :heart

• Like 1

On 2/5/2021 at 4:13 PM, NCcountrygal said:

Donna I haven’t read through this thread to see if it’s been mentioned. Not sure if you can do anything with images. Curious why uploads of photos post sideways. Like they turn image right/sideway.  No biggie. Only issue I’ve noticed

Thank you for bringing this up! Let me know if Brenda's solution above works for you. I'm looking into this and will post an update when I have more info.

2 hours ago, Donna said:

Thank you for bringing this up! Let me know if Brenda's solution above works for you. I'm looking into this and will post an update when I have more info.

Thanks, Donna. I just did some testing in the test forum. Before the forum update I was making photos smaller cause the cell connection would sometimes stall in upload. Size of my photos effects orientation not the upgrade

Donna

I almost re-visited the same thing I tried to do when I deleted the book thread

On the stashbusting thread, which I have been active for years, I have always had the ability to change color and size of my numbers, now I don't have that option,  any help will be appreciated, thanks

On 2/7/2021 at 1:52 PM, NCcountrygal said:

Thanks, Donna. I just did some testing in the test forum. Before the forum update I was making photos smaller cause the cell connection would sometimes stall in upload. Size of my photos effects orientation not the upgrade

Diana, thank you for the update. It sounds like the underlying data in resized photos is causing the forum to rotate them. I'm going to so some testing on this.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 10:07 AM, pineknott said:

Donna

On the stashbusting thread, which I have been active for years, I have always had the ability to change color and size of my numbers, now I don't have that option,  any help will be appreciated, thanks

@pineknott Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I've confirmed that this is the current default behavior of the forum software. You can change font color and size in the reply box on desktop but not on mobile. I'm going to need to do some research to see if this can be changed.

Donna I have never had the ability to change font size and color on mobile. I think pineknott always uses a pc and I believe she is referring to changing color and font size in her signature space where she lists her progress in regards to stashbusting.

1 minute ago, bgs said:

Donna I have never had the ability to change font size and color on mobile. I think pineknott always uses a pc and I believe she is referring to changing color and font size in her signature space where she lists her progress in regards to stashbusting.

Ok, thank you! I misunserstood the issue since pineknott mentioned the stashbusting thread.

On 2/13/2021 at 10:07 AM, pineknott said:

Donna

@pineknott I forgot to say, no more worries about deleting an entire thread! I changed thread deletion permissions so that it can only be done by admins and moderators.

Also, can you confirm the details of the problem you're having with changing font size and color? Is it on computer or mobile? Also, is it in the reply box or in your signature?

Thank you for replying back, & thank you Bgs, I know I've used the bold in the signature, but don't remember if I used the color

Donna

When I get ready to reply, I get 9 things  ( icons ?? )across the top of reply area , the color and size came after them, sorry don't know terminology, but hope you understand what I mean

yes Bgs is correct I'm on PC not mobile

Edited by pineknott

10 minutes ago, pineknott said:

oh geez Brenda, now I really embarassed myself, that was put there soooooo long ago I had forgotten

My blue was put in a long time ago too!  Havent been here on a pc for 5 years so have lost track of options available there.  

Edited by bgs

@pineknott Do you have your browser window at the full width of your computer? If I reduce my browser window down below a certain size, it triggers the "mobile" settings and I see fewer icons. See these screenshots:

reply-box-full-width-all-icons.jpg

reply-box-mobile-width-fewer-icons.jpg