Forum software has been upgraded this morning Jan 31, 2021

Donna

Hello everyone!

I have performed a major forum software upgrade this morning. It went smoothly except for the crochet background on the forum. The background doesn't seem to want to work, but I will figure that out.

If you have any issues you think are related to the forum upgrade, please reply in this thread so I can look into it.

Thank you all!!!

• Like 1

I haven't had any problems looking around this morning. One difference I see, the browse/activity/help bar no longer stays at the top of the screen so you don't have to scroll all the way back up the thread. I'm not sure if that's considered part of the background or not.

Thanks for doing all it takes to keep the forum on line!

• Like 1

Ok, the main crochet background has been restored. Now to figure out how to get it into the bar at the top (behind the Crochetville logo).

The reason I'm struggling with the backgrounds is that some forum upgrades require the forum theme developer to upgrade their software as well. And some major forum theme upgrades require a fresh install of the theme, which was the case here.

Hi Donna:

The font is smaller, grey and harder to read for people that are "eye challenged". Nice to see you in here and thanks for upgrading my favorite place on the Internet.

• Like 1

Donna was just thinking about you and wondering when you were going have to change things on us.  Seeing some differences but so far mobile version seems ok.  Darker font as mentioned would be better.  Will poke around some more to see if things are working.

• Like 1

I just logged on so missed some of the now-fixed 'bugs'.  For those bothered by the tiny font (which so far is the only thing I noticed), until Donna gets to fixing that - if you are on a PC, hold the ctrl key down and hit the += key once or more to get it as big as is comfortable for you.  Ctrl and the minus/underline key makes it smaller if you overdo it.

• Like 1

@Granny Square thank you!

You can also make the font slightly larger – but it looks like it only works on the font in the actual body of posts – like this:

On the far right side of the navigation bar is a "toggle" button icon, just next to the paintbrush icon [edit: there's no longer a paintbrush icon because it was a color picker that wasn't intended to be enabled] [edit 2: I've restored the paintbrush icon again]. Click the "toggle" button icon, and it will take you to the "Customizer" where you can change several settings, including "larger font-size for posts." It doesn't let you choose the size, it just increases the size by a little bit.

Oooh, I got the fonts bigger! All of them! :clap Anybody need them even bigger? I can keep going! I found a new setting :yay that increases all the fonts everywhere by whatever percentage I tell it to.

1 minute ago, Granny Square said:

Thanks!  I never noticed that button before, duh. :manyheart 

Totally understandable! There's some good settings in there for anybody who prefers things just a certain way. Sadly, the font increase it gives isn't much. But I've solved that now. :yes

Ok I used the ctrl + to make my font bigger, but it is still quite light.  I am on a computer, and I know I can change my font, but it is hard to read what others have written.  Hope fully this will be able to be fixed.  Thanks Donna.

The titles of the threads are very dark, but no the post or names of who started them.

Edited by Tampa Doll
  • Like 1

• Donna changed the title to Forum software has been upgraded this morning Jan 31, 2021

I am on mobile.  The font on the home page is smaller than it was before upgrade. Main headers are ok but everything under them are very  small especially subsections.  Do not need the little question mark or balloon-comment icons to the left.  Dont really need the number of posts to the right. 

Then the font is very small in this dialogue box as I am typing.  It was good before the upgrade.  Now I have to expand my screen

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

@bgs Ok, thank you, Brenda! The mobile fonts must be controlled separately from the desktop fonts. I'll check into that. I forgot to check mobile when I got done with the fonts for desktop.

@bgs The balloon (speech bubble) icons are for regular forums and the question marks are for Q&A forums. The speech bubbles icons are dark when there are new, unread posts and they are greyed out when you have seen/read all posts in that forum. 

The icons and fonts are ok when I use my the activity stream.  The icons are to the right of peoples avatars but  on the home page the icons are all the way to the left in their own column and taking up precious space that the font is probably going to need to be enlarged.  If they were there in the same position before the upgrade they were not showing.  I know the numbers of posts to the right were only showing part of the number but that was ok.  Better to have larger print.

• Like 1