cable-like trim help

Question

Hello-

I am having trouble following this pattern. I am intermediate level, I have made other advanced pieces, but I am stumped on this part of the pattern. Is there any way to explain this a different way or anyone who knows what this stitch is called?

Rnd 10 is where this trim starts:

Ch1, sc in same st, ch3 sk 2 st, sc in 3rd st, TURN, 3 sc in ch 3 sp.,sl st in beg sc. TURN (pushing “cable” to back), sc in next 2 sc, ch 3, sk worked sc and unworked sc, sc in next sc, TURN , 3 sc in ch3 sp, sl st in next sc, TURN, sc in both worked and unworked sts, rep from and around to last st, ch 3, skip over beg sc, sc in base of the first sc of 2 center sc under the cable, TURN, 3 sc in ch 3 sp, sl st in sc, TURN, sc in worked sc, sl st in top of first sc (cables).

I soon became lost after pushing the cable to back. They call it a cable but when I search for cable stitches it does not look the same, and it is not the puff stitch. Picture attached. There must be a tutorial of this stitch somewhere?

Thank you in advance!!

Sue

turnbucklecap.jpg

3 answers to this question

I don't blame you, that's a heck of a sentence.  I encounter a lot of pattern lines like that in doilies, not the turning part but 1 sentence that is half a page long.

What I typically do / since I mostly work from hard copies / is put hash marks between steps.  That helps to keep my head from spinning.  Or if you have a soft  copy in a document editing program, use carriage returns instead, like this (in your example, a new line with each turn seems to make the most sense):

Ch1, sc in same st, ch3 sk 2 st, sc in 3rd st, TURN,

3 sc in ch 3 sp.,sl st in beg sc. TURN

(pushing “cable” to back), sc in next 2 sc, ch 3, sk worked sc and unworked sc, sc in next sc, TURN ,

3 sc in ch3 sp, sl st in next sc, TURN,

sc in both worked and unworked sts, rep from and around to last st, ch 3, skip over beg sc, sc in base of the first sc of 2 center sc under the cable, TURN,

3 sc in ch 3 sp, sl st in sc, TURN,

sc in worked sc, sl st in top of first sc (cables).

Having said that, your pattern's stitch is really interesting - and the way it is written reminds me of a knit bobble.  I repicked up knitting a while back after learning the basics decades ago, and bought a how-to book to brush up and learn more, and found out that knit bobbles are really several tiny little rows back and forth in one spot - I thought that was absolutely crazy.  I happened to find a youtube whose author had the same opinion, and showed how to sub a crocheted popcorn stitch instead.  

Which is a long story to say, your hat stitch pattern looks a lot like popcorn stitches to me.  And not how a crochet 'cable' is made nor how I'd describe its appearance.  If I were doing this pattern, I'd probably try it to see what I thought about it in the interest of 'science', but I suspect I might decide it was too much bother and sub popcorn stitches.

The pushing the cable to the back - when you make a popcorn stitch, or similar stitches that protrude out of the fabric like a bubble, you can poke the 'bubble'  to protrude from 1 side or the other--so that's all that 'pushing the cable to the back' meant.

Glad it worked out, and thanks for sharing the photo of your project, it looks great!  One round of that 'rope' looks like it would make an interesting blanket or whatever edging, too, hmmm....