Maddy

Maddy I

Question

Hi there, I'm making a baby cardigan and don't understand part of the pattern. Not sure if you need more context to help but the bit I'm stuck on says start dividing, first front, keep in pattern. I'm guessing it needs me to reduce the length of the rows but I don't know what start dividing means exactly or how to do that! 

Many thanks in advance of any help! X

2 answers to this question

I am guessing it is the description of what you are accomplishing by following the next set of instructions.  You probably have hit the part in your pattern where now you start working on one section at a time eg right front, back , left front.  You probably work a part, cut yarn, attach to next part work it , cut yarn attach to next part.  Pattern should really tell you if you reduce length of rows.

• Thanks 1

^ What she said.  For another thread a while back on a similar topic, I drew a sketch, if I may recycle it - see below.  As Bgs said above, you've started from the bottom hem and worked up to the armholes.  From this point, you'll only be working (probably) 1 of the fronts to the neckline, finishing off, (probably) skipping a few underarm stitches, working the back to the neckline , finishing off, skipping underarm stitches if you did before, and then working the other front to the far edge, and up to the neckline, and finishing off that last piece. 

The next step is (probably) folding over the fronts to the backs and sewing together the shoulder seams, and insetting separately made sleeves, or possibly attaching the yarn at some point of the armhole and working around the armhole in rounds to the wrist.  The red lines in my drawing are fold lines, the blue lines are showing the fronts folded to the back, then sewn, to form the shoulders.  

Sweater Jacket.jpg

• Thanks 1