Need help identifying crochet needle size

simmy

Question

Hello all, I have an older crochet needle that says 10 boye 10, but it looks too small to be 10 mm. Can you tell what size it really is? Also, what size beanie hat and thickness size yarn will it be good for ( kids/ adults)? I put a pencil in the pics for comparison to see how thin it looks.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

20210120_152402.jpg

20210120_152110.jpg

9 answers to this question

It looks entirely possible that it is a US size 10.  Hang on and I'll find a pencil and my 10 hook for a pic...

....Tried scanning, didn't come out very clear with a pencil & a 'real' steel hook like yours, so here it is with a ruler.  This is the #10 head from my interchangeable set.

scan0002.jpg

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it is made in USA, so US size. So, what mm size crochet is it? And what project(s) is it good for? Sorry, I am a beginner, so I don't know what size 10 measures or does. Thanks for checking it out!

25 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

It looks entirely possible that it is a US size 10.  Hang on and I'll find a pencil and my 10 hook for a pic...

....Tried scanning, didn't come out very clear with a pencil, so here it is with a ruler.  This is the #10 head from my interchangeable set.

scan0002.jpg

Edited by simmy

10 minutes ago, simmy said:

Would this be good for making a beanie hat for a 6 month old baby? 

That is going to depend on the pattern and yarn you use.  Search patterns and check out yarn and hook used.  

• Thanks 1

I use a larger hook (US #7) for doilies made in #10 thread.  I personally think that a #10 hook would be (for me) too small for #10 thread, it's been eons since I used smaller thread but I HAVE used that size hook with either #20 or #30 thread.

There are pattern out there for hats for babies in thread, but I think that's mostly christening items, and probably #10 thread.  There might be vintage patterns for baby items in thinner thread, try Free Vintage Crochet (link is to list of types of pattern) or Antique Pattern Library (list is for crochet patterns, the sort is sort of irregular - sorted alphabetically either by publisher or author's name)

• Thanks 1