Karen Day

Karen Day

Question

I am working on an amigurumi Pattern I believe it is in Dutch. I translated it to English I am able to do all but this is confusing to me what it means..

I have never in my 59 years of crocheting run across a pattern written like this.

R 18: 47 BC

R 19: 4 × inc, 4 × min, 4 × inc, 8 × min, 4 × inc, 4 × min, 3 × inc (= 46 st) R 20: 46 sc

R 21: 4 × inc, 4 × min, 4 × inc, 15 sc, 4 × inc, 4 × min, 3 × inc (= 53 sts) R 22: 53 sc

R 23: sc, 4 × inc, 4 × min, 5 × inc, 19 sc, 5 × inc, 4 × min, 3 × inc, sc (= 62 sts)  stitch a marker in the last stitch R 24: 62 v

R 25: * 2 sc, 2 sc in next st. * repeat 6 ×, 26 sc, * 2 sc, 2 sc in next st. * repeat 6 × (= 74 sts) R 26: 74 sc

R 27: * 2 sc, 2 sc in next st. * repeat 4 ×, 20 sc, * dec, 3 sc * repeat 4 ×, 15 sc, * 2 sc in next st., 2 sc * repeat 4 × (= 78 sts) R 28-42: 78 sc  NOT tie off  First we will now finish the mouth further: join with pink on the 10 left stitches of R17 Mouth R 1: 10 sc, turn R 2: min, 6 sc, min, turn R 3: min, 4 sc, min, turn R 4: min, 2 sc, min  tie off and let the thread hang. E206_Vertaling Hildt_http: //amigurumi-gekte.clubs.nl/ p 8

5 answers to this question

In my experience running crochet patterns thru translators often end up like this.  Some parts translate ok but other parts do not.  You can search for lists of Dutch to English crochet terms like the following to help.  For instance on row 18 the Dutch version says 47 v which translator translated to  47 BC.  On checking the chart below the Dutch v would be single crochet (US terms)

https://elfinthread.com/conversion-charts/crochet-terms-conversion-chart-american-english-dutch/

Edited by bgs

Drops/Garn Studio also has a cross reference, if the above one doesn't help maybe a combination of the 2 will work. 

https://www.garnstudio.com/school.php?cid=17

I didn't know they had a stitch dictionary too, will have to explore!  The translation glossary is a little past halfway down, I thought you might like to look at the other stuff.

Actually your original translation wasn't too awful, at a quick glance it's just 'min' that leaves me scratching my head....apparently short for minder / minderingen, meaning decrease.

Love both answers thank you so much. Ok please if you can explain how this is done it will help me so so much . you are correct as to what min means.

How is this done tho? For the life of me I have tried to figure this out lol I mean I know a lot of crochet terms but this one stumps me totally?

R 19: 4 × inc, 4 × min, 4 × inc, 8 × min, 4 × inc, 4 × min, 3 × inc (= 46 st) R 20: 46 sc

R 21: 4 × inc, 4 × min, 4 × inc, 15 sc, 4 × inc, 4 × min, 3 × inc (= 53 sts) R 22: 53 sc

R 23: sc, 4 × inc, 4 × min, 5 × inc, 19 sc, 5 × inc, 4 × min, 3 × inc, sc (= 62 sts)  stitch a marker in the last stitch R 24: 62 v

An increase instruction, without further details, is normally understood to mean to put 2  stitches into 1 stitch from the prior row (so an increase of 1 stitch)

A decrease instruction, without further details, is normally understood to mean to turn 2 stitches from the prior row into 1, by doing (in this case, since it's all SC for these lines) a sc2tog.

Row 20 ends with 46 stitches, therefore we have 46 stitches to increase or decrease in  row 21 to get us to the end stitch count of 53 stitches. (7 stitches added overall, 53 minus 46=7)

R 21: 4 × inc, (adds 4) 4 × min(subtracts 4), 4 × inc,(adds 4) 15 sc, (no change) 4 × inc, (adds 4) 4 × min (subtracts 4), 3 × inc (adds 3)

a) So there are 3 'adds 4', and 2 'subtracts 4', so with groups of 4 stitches we've added 12 and subtracted 8, so a net add of 4 so far.

b) The 15 stitches don't factor into any change.  

c) At the end of the row, we add 3, so in addition to the 4 added sts we've already accounted for in step (a), there are 4+3=7 stitches added in row 21, so our translation guesses work out.  Yay!  

This may sound complicated, but really it's simple math.  I spelled it all out to show you my thought process to test if the pattern made sense, because I guarantee you that you will run into future patterns that may be confusing, or sometimes in error, that don't involve translation mysteries.

These are the assumptions I would try.

inc (increase) means make 2 stitches probably sc into one stitch of previous row

min means dec (decrease) so combine 2 stitches on previous row into one stitch on row you are working on

X means do it multiple times ----4X inc would mean work 4 increases and 4 increases means:

make 2 stitches into next stitch of previous row

The numbers in ( ) at the end of each row are the total numbers of stitches you should have when completing that row for example (=46 st) at end of R 19 means you should have 46 stitches in row 19

R 20: 46 sc --- would mean make 46 sc in that row (make one sc in each stitch on row 19 since row 19 has 46 stitches)