Help with recognising stitch pattern

Tammy Leggetter

Question

Hello 

I firstly wanted to thank everyone who has gone to so much trouble to answer all my previous posts and thank you for your patience.  

I am still struggling with this blouse pattern I have.  I think I am reading the instructions incorrect.  I think if I knew what the pattern were that this would help me and I could find a tutorial on how to create it.

Can anyone tell me what the MAIN stitch pattern for the attached blouse I am attempting to make is?  It looks like an arrow or V shape.

thank you so much again for your patience with me.

Tammy

10A1AB14-F84A-47E6-908D-D372DC3667E7.jpeg

86AC14C9-94A4-40F9-A37B-D428AB7E08BE.jpeg

8 answers to this question

There probably is no name for this combo of stitches.  You just have to follow your pattern.  I addressed the issue in your other post requesting help where you posted a photo of your work along with part of the pattern. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with BGS, apart from the basic 'single building block stitches' (chain, sc, dc, etc.) that combine to form a complex arrangement that we call a 'stitch pattern', 'stitch patterns' aren't uniformly named; one specific 'stitch pattern' can have several names for exactly the same thing, or sometimes one 'name' applies to several different 'stitch patterns'.  If it's in a stitch dictionary, the stitch name might have the word 'diamond', 'trellis' or 'harlequin' in it just by the shape, but who knows.

• Thanks 1

It occurs to me I may have been answering your question at the wrong level, focusing on the 'name' versus the fact that you seem to be having problems with part of the pattern instructions.  Did what Bgs suggested in your other post make sense?  Is there a line in the pattern in particular that you are struggling with?  Sometimes pattern-writing conventions, which meaning is obvious to us old timers, can be a little terse or confusing to new crocheters.

It also occurred to me that you may have been looking for a stitch pattern name  to look for a youtube on it; even something simple like looking for 'cluster' may not exactly match your pattern, because 'cluster', as well as many other compound stitch names, are names for a family of related stitches which may not exactly match your pattern.  Example: generic cluster definition= many stitches incompletely made into 1 stitch, and joined together at the top in the last yarn-over.  Your pattern's 'cluster' could be a 2 stitch DC cluster or a 5 stitch double-triple cluster, but the pattern should define it's terms somewhere.  Looking at a video can give you the concept of the term, which is not a bad thing, but only in a general way.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you Granny Square for taking the time to respond to all my queries.

Struggling to see how I reply specifically to you.

I have tried to make a tension swatch several times and I did take note of BGs comment for my first swatch when she said she could not see in my first row the cl all round  stem of next tr.

I am struggling with the instructions for the ‘Cluster’ and ‘Treble Round’.  I’ve attached a copy of the instructions for working these stitches.  

None of my tension swatches look like the pattern of the photo of the finished garment.  The most recent attached looks awful!

Perhaps I need to find someone online who would be prepared to give me some lessons!

F527024B-B5FA-4024-9B1E-D5CF0258DC1E.jpeg

CC0CDADE-1733-4027-B517-50D694004805.jpeg

There's not a way to address a certain person in a thread in a way that lets them know a comment is directed to them, except by saying 'hey Granny Square, xxx".  I usually scan the help section every day so I'll see it eventually.  (we may be in different time zones tho, I'm in west coast US so there might be a delay if you are in the UK)

Bgs mentioned there were issues with your clusters, which I agree with.  There are 2 aspects of the clusters in this patterns- one, they are made as post stitches, and 2, well they aren't clusters.

A post stitch is an otherwise normal stitch that is worked around the post, or 'body' or post of another stitch, usually in 1 or more rows below the current one.  Your pattern involves a cluster worked as an assembly of front post stitches, where the post (body, stem) of a stitch is worked around (not into) and pulled toward you as you make it, as is the stitch doing the forward pulling.  I think you are getting the concept of the post stitch, because I'm seeing single stitches pulled forward like front post stitches, but I'm not seeing front post stitch clusters--a bunch of stitches made (in this case around, not into the top of) 1 stitch.

To add more detail to the pattern's cluster instruction -

" * yarn over(yrh), insert your hook thru the fabric on the right side of the post of the indicated stitch in the row below, across the back of the stitch and poke the hook  back to the front on the work at the left side of that same stitch, yo, complete the stitch to the point where there are 2 loops on the hook, STOP, DO NOT COMPLETE THE STITCH.  Repeat from the asterisk, working around the post of the same stitch until there are 4 loops on the hook, yarn over and pull thru all the loops"  

Does that help/make more sense?  All of the stitches in the cluster are made around the same 1 post.  I think you might have a problem finding a video of this - I'm' sure there are many videos for clusters, and many videos for front post stitch (1 stitch made around 1 stitch), but the 2 combined--probably not.

• Thanks 1

Hey Granny Square.  Thank you so so much for taking the time to reply in so much detail.  I think after your detailed descriptions I am getting it a bit more.  Going to give it my very best and have another go at a swatch using your instructions.

Yes I’m in the UK.  Very jealous of your location, I just simply love the West Coast 😍.

Once again, a big thank you for all the trouble you have taken with me, I am so grateful.

You are very welcome.  Well, I lived all of my life close to the coast, since retiring we moved a tad more inland--the coast isn't too far far as the crow flies, but there's a mountain range in the way.

I've always wanted to visit the UK, the last company I've worked for was headquartered in Scotland.  I had to be aware of what UK time was for such a long time it still pops into my head when I look at a clock, it's just past 8pm your time now, noon here...