Granny square is too round?!

Gracecw

Question

Hi!

I started crocheting just under a week ago, I can make squares using a double crochet (UK) but really want to make granny squares. I've tried following a few different tutorials and mine ends up circular instead of a square, and those gaps it's meant to have aren't prominent enough so it just looks like a weird circle.

I'm pretty sure I've followed the tutorial right and can't think of what I'm doing wrong, I don't know enough about it to be able to think of what the issue could be. Also I'm left handed if that makes any difference to anyones advice (the tutorials I watched were for left handed also so that's not the issue)

Thanks in advance!

24 answers to this question

My corners are made by chaining 3 like the tutorial I'm watching says to, the lady who made that tutorial says if it's a circle it's because my corners are wrong, but I don't understand how that can be if I'm following everying she's doing! I'll get a photo of my next attempt!

Hopefully you can see enough, it's only the first part as if I keep going it remains a circle, thought I'd get the first part right before continuing. In the tutorials at this point it's a square and much more defined. 

I've tried doing it tighter and looser, neither make much difference!

IMG_20210118_204011.jpg

I think your stitches and chains might be too tight.  You should have 4 sets of uk trebles.  I can only see 3 in yours.  If there are 4 sets your stitches are definitely too tight.  Try going up a hook size or two and relax your tension.  

20210118_152950.thumb.jpg.d6e02e6b8b20dcf4e6e022c3a135da6e.jpg

Bgs

I was discussing this post with Bill, who knows nothing about crochet, and said it could be tension, from tight stitches, I'm a loose crocheter and Rene's is tight and I can't pick up her work and try and help her out

Your tension is too tight.  Try a larger hook---2 sizes higher.  Do not pull those chains so tight!  Different patterns attack corners in different ways.  3 chains is pretty common but in your case try 4 or even 5.  In the beginning my tension was very tight.  It has taken years of practice to loosen up so my squares would match the size the pattern said they should be.

Edited by bgs

Gracedw, something went 'odd' with your center, as well in your last post.  The center should -- well, there are a few ways to do it, but more traditionally you'd start with a small # of chains, connect them into a circle, and work the 4 'granny shells' (granny shell meaning a group of 3 UK Trebles) around the chain.  It looks like you made your trebles over something more than chains, especially on the right side of the photo.  Not criticizing, just trying to help steer you in the right direction.

Bgs - interesting article, that makes sense for a solid granny but for a traditional one I imagine adding a chain in the corner might achieve the same thing?  I mean, your little square doesn't look like the one in the article, nor do mine (but I make chains looser than my stitches for whatever reason, so...)

Ok there is a problem.  

You start with a ch 3, make 2 tr

Ch3 

Make 3 tr

Ch3

Make 3 tr

Ch3

Make 3 tr 

Ch 3

Join to top of your ch3

The first ch 3 plus 2 tr equals 1 set of 3 trebles. 

You need 4 sets of 3 trebles or a total of 12 trebles and 4 ch 3 spaces for this round.  I think if you get the right number of trebles you wont need extra stitches for your corners

Edited by bgs

7 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Gracedw, something went 'odd' with your center, as well in your last post.  The center should -- well, there are a few ways to do it, but more traditionally you'd start with a small # of chains, connect them into a circle, and work the 4 'granny shells' (granny shell meaning a group of 3 UK Trebles) around the chain.  It looks like you made your trebles over something more than chains, especially on the right side of the photo.  Not criticizing, just trying to help steer you in the right direction.

Bgs - interesting article, that makes sense for a solid granny but for a traditional one I imagine adding a chain in the corner might achieve the same thing?  I mean, your little square doesn't look like the one in the article, nor do mine (but I make chains looser than my stitches for whatever reason, so...)

That's what I've tried, and thought, I'd done. Maybe paying even closer attention where I'm making my trebles will help 

50 minutes ago, Gracecw said:

I got it to more of a square! I've ended it at the top wrong and I can't figure that out, but hey, progress :)

IMG_20210118_230417.jpg

You fixed the chains in the corners but each side has to have the same number of trebles.  You should have 12.  You can have different number of chains in the corner and still end up with a square but you have to have the same number of trebles or it won't be a square.  If you think about the difference between a square and a rectangle is all four sides are the same if you only have on stitch on one side it isn't the same.

7 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

That's what I've tried, and thought, I'd done. Maybe paying even closer attention where I'm making my trebles will help 

16 minutes ago, Bailey4 said:

You fixed the chains in the corners but each side has to have the same number of trebles.  You should have 12.  You can have different number of chains in the corner and still end up with a square but you have to have the same number of trebles or it won't be a square.  If you think about the difference between a square and a rectangle is all four sides are the same if you only have on stitch on one side it isn't the same.

I think the bottom and left definitely have 3, the right kinda does but messy, and I'm not sure how to fix it at the top as I ended it the way the tutorials say and it still looks wrong!

Ok there is a problem.  

After making your ring by chaining maybe 4 or 5 and joining.

You start with a ch 3,  then make make 2 tr in your ring.

Ch3 

Make 3 tr

Ch3

Make 3 tr

Ch3

Make 3 tr 

Ch 3

Join to top of your ch3

The first ch 3 plus 2 tr equals 1 set of 3 trebles. 

You need 4 sets of 3 trebles or a total of 12 trebles and 4 ch 3 spaces for this round.  I think if you get the right number of trebles you wont need extra stitches for your corners

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

There's different ways to start and end a granny 'shell', but they all look the same pretty much. 

I just typed and erased some guesses - is your pattern (free, like on a blog) on the internet, and if so could you link to it?  That might help us guide you, so we don't assume 1 way and your pattern says another way - there are a lot of ways to get to the same end for this simple pattern, I/we don't want to confuse you.

Edited by Granny Square