HELP! Losing my mind!

Michelle Marshall

Question

I've been working on this forever!  I've completed the 42" of the gown.  I'm working on the "Lower Skirt Border", I've completed Rows 1, 2 and 3.  Row 4 I've completed a couple of times and  ripped it out because it doesn't feel right.  Then I try to do row 5 and it's definitely wrong because the numbers don't come out right at the end. it's like it's decreasing but it can't be right because it's the skirt bottom, it should be the same as the rest of the gown, right?  Maybe I am reading it wrong?  Can someone please help me?

Michelle

ALC0238-025200M.pdf (yarnspirations.com)

10 answers to this question

I checked Ravelry.  If you are not a member its free to join. Several people have made it so I searched thru their notes to see if they mentioned having any problems/suggestions and found none.  Did find a good photo of the section you are working on so maybe you can compare and see whats going on or take a photo of yours so we can take a good look.

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/hypermama/christening-set

Just getting my bearings...

Row 3 ends with  305 (313, 329) SC.

Row 4: Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first 3 sc, *ch 5, skip next 3 sc**, sc in next 5 sc; repeat from * across, ending last repeat at **, sc in last 3 sc; turn—38 (39, 41) ch-5 spaces.

Sometimes a double asterisk ** causes confusion - this does not mean anything (typically) the first time it appears, usually you ignore it until the pattern tells you to pay attention to it - in this pattern it is to alter the end of the last repeat where the ** appears.  Just mentioning this, because the math does work out so it doesn't seem to be a pattern error.

Picking the smallest size to follow, you have 305 stitches to 'use' in row 4.  The primary repeat in row 4 is 'skip 3, sc in next 5 sts', so a multiple of 8.  Before the repeated multiples of 8, there are 3 stitches 'used' (skipped) at the beginning, and after the last repeat of 8 there are 3 stitches skipped, plus 3 'used' at the end.  So, some number of repeats of 8, , plus 9.

305 divided by 8 is 38 and a fraction.  8 x 37 repeats=296 repeats of 8.  305 stitches you have available, minus 296=9, so it should come out.

I was going to keep typing but I saw Bgs replied and wanted to see what she said - good point, not to scare you away from Crochetville but checking project comments on Ravelry is a good resource.  

Also, I didn't check the math on the other sizes but I spelled out how I arrived at my check of the first size, so you can  check your size the same way if I didn't pick the right one--let me know if my method didn't make sense.

7 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Just getting my bearings...

Row 3 ends with  305 (313, 329) SC.

Row 4: Row 4: Ch 1, sc in first 3 sc, *ch 5, skip next 3 sc**, sc in next 5 sc; repeat from * across, ending last repeat at **, sc in last 3 sc; turn—38 (39, 41) ch-5 spaces.

Sometimes a double asterisk ** causes confusion - this does not mean anything (typically) the first time it appears, usually you ignore it until the pattern tells you to pay attention to it - in this pattern it is to alter the end of the last repeat where the ** appears.  Just mentioning this, because the math does work out so it doesn't seem to be a pattern error.

Picking the smallest size to follow, you have 305 stitches to 'use' in row 4.  The primary repeat in row 4 is 'skip 3, sc in next 5 sts', so a multiple of 8.  Before the repeated multiples of 8, there are 3 stitches 'used' (skipped) at the beginning, and after the last repeat of 8 there are 3 stitches skipped, plus 3 'used' at the end.  So, some number of repeats of 8, , plus 9.

305 divided by 8 is 38 and a fraction.  8 x 37 repeats=296 repeats of 8.  305 stitches you have available, minus 296=9, so it should come out.

I’ve done row 4 and it’s come out correctly, 5-6-7 are my nightmare.

You are spanning the chain 5 on row 4 with 3 chains sc in middle of the ch 5 and then making  3 more chains.  It should work.

One thought-----might you be be pulling your chains too tight.  I tend to do that on patterns like this

Hi Michelle, I had to run off after posting yesterday - sorry misread the row you were stuck on, BUT if you follow how I broke down row 4 into groups of repeats + beginning + end stitch counts, and compared them to the # of stitches available to use from the prior row and how many you should end up with, you should be able to ascertain if it should work out, or if there is a pattern error and you are going to have to get creative.  If you are still stuck after trying that, holler (knowing how to sanity-check patterns on your own comes in handy, and the 'hard part' is simple arithmetic...I cheat and have a calculator in my project bag...).

Interesting note on the chain tension from Bgs, I have the opposite issue (stitch a little tight but chain loosely), which usually isn't an issue except aesthetically perhaps, but I can see the opposite potentially being a problem.