Pattern doesn't tell how to add new yarn color.

RoxAnne Lewis

Question

I've crocheted for years but, it's always been the same ripple pattern.

Now I'm making a baby blanket with Bernat Softee Cotton Baby yarn. The patter has four colors that  change every three rows.

The problem I'm having is with switching colors. The directions are:

To change colors, work to last 2 loops on hook. Drop previous color from hook, draw new color through and proceed. Ch 3 at beg of dc rows count as dc throughout.

1. What do they mean by the last two loops on the hook? Is it the last two loops of the last dc of the row? A dc is the last stitch in each row. 

2. When the new color yarn is added and the old color yarn is dropped, what becomes of the old color yarn? It's left dangling there. I can't proceed because I don't know if I'm supposed to cut the old color yarn and have hundred of bulky areas where I try to work it back into the stitches to make sure it won't become unraveled. Or, do I leave the old color yarn intact and run it down the boarder. There will be crocheted edging on the blanket.

I'm thinking running the old color yarn down the boarder is the safest solution. But, I would really appreciate help from someone who knows what they are doing. I'm self taught and didn't make it past kindergarten. 🤣

Thanks in advance.

5 answers to this question

Think of the last 2 loops on the hook as being the step before the final yarn over and pull thru, where you end up with 1 loop on the hook.  This puts the 1 loop on your hook as the new color, ready for the new stitch in the new color, and the 2 loops of the old color forming the top of the old color stitch.

To your specific questions - 1) yes, this is for the last DC of the last row in that color

2) Yes, you are going to have a zillion ends, and they are going to need weaving in or being 'worked over' up the sides (I haven't looked at Bgs' link yet, but I don't  work over ends as a rule, I don't think it's secure; I work into the plies of other stitches).  That's the nature of changing colors very few rows, you end up with lots of ends to weave.  Another solution if it wasn't a baby blanket would be leaving the ends long, and at the end adding a couple more strands and making knotted tassels/fringe.

Also weaving in ends doesn't have to be bulky, you can split the plies and weave the half-strands in 2 directions.  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Think of the last 2 loops on the hook as being the step before the final yarn over and pull thru, where you end up with 1 loop on the hook.  This puts the 1 loop on your hook as the new color, ready for the new stitch in the new color, and the 2 loops of the old color forming the top of the old color stitch.

To your specific questions - 1) yes, this is for the last DC of the last row in that color

2) Yes, you are going to have a zillion ends, and they are going to need weaving in or being 'worked over' up the sides (I haven't looked at Bgs' link yet, but I don't  work over ends as a rule, I don't think it's secure; I work into the plies of other stitches).  That's the nature of changing colors very few rows, you end up with lots of ends to weave.  Another solution if it wasn't a baby blanket would be leaving the ends long, and at the end adding a couple more strands and making knotted tassels/fringe.

Also weaving in ends doesn't have to be bulky, you can split the plies and weave the half-strands in 2 directions.  

Thank you. That makes sense, but I really don't like weaving the yarn tails back in. 😅