Tension Instructions

Tammy Leggetter

Question

Hello, I am very new to crochet and struggling to understand what all of the below/attached tension instructions mean.  I understand some (pattern repeats, hook sizes, in. = inches) but not all.  If anyone could please explain the whole to me.  Any help very gratefully received.  Thank you so much.  Tammy

4 pattern repeats to 3 1/2 in. Using No 3.00 hook: 1 pattern repeat to 1 in. Using No 3.50 hook. 10 rows to 3 in. On No 3.50 hook.  

B1807EF2-B6E7-452A-91B0-462B70CC91B0.jpeg

2 answers to this question

I'm a little unclear on this as well, it's not quite the traditional x rows and y stitches across = 4" or 10 cm.

I am going to guess that pattern repeat means stitches across, because it mentions another number for row gauge--but on 1 size hook only. 

I'm thinking this might be a vintage pattern (or possibly UK) by other clues, like the hook sizing and ''yrh" for yarn over, and the hook sizing, which is numeric but doesn't mention mm.

• Thanks 1

Its telling you that the designer used a Number 3.00 hook and when she made 3 pattern repeats it measured 3 1/2 inches.

Then using a number 3.50 hook and making 1 pattern repeat it measured 1 inch.  

Using a number 3. 50 hook and making 10 rows the 10 rows measure 3 inches.

By you doing this you will find out if you will match the designers work.  It not you will have to compensate by using a different size hook, manipulating your tension or mathematically compensate to make the same size.

Edited by bgs
  • Thanks 1