Gift-making in 2021...TOPIC CLOSED TO COMMENTS

judianne

On 12/3/2021 at 7:32 AM, Bailey4 said:

344894331_AztecWishes2021.jpg.a6b6e68a43e057576dc0619c28c56b0c.jpg

Dropped off the 16 boxes this morning and it is always such an amazing experience with the high school kids.

The dolls were a big hit with the girls and the Lovey blankets were a surprising hit with one of the boys as it seems to be a family favorite with his little sister.

They were taking pictures while we were there and I understand more were going to be taken.  She promised to send me pics and I of course will share with all of you when I get them.

There is a huge need this year and all of you involved did an amazing job helping to meet it.  The 2021 Doll Donation Project is officially ended and we begin again for 2022.  Thanks to all of you.

Bailey- Can you please explain  something- I was not understanding why these items went to a high school can you explain the process for your donations... I have been following your photo posts and somewhere along the line I must misunderstood some parts..thanks

The local tech high school uses this annual toy drive (although they've expanded it to meet more needs of the families over the years) as a project for the business tech students. They learn to set up a data base that tracks the requests and logs the donations that come in matching items to the names and needs they've been given from a local charity which deals with families in need of Christmas toys and other assistance.

That's why I was waiting this year to see if we were returning back to the high school as they had to get approval from the vocational person in charge that the project was approved to return as it has been suspended for Covid last year.

They have a deadline to collect the requested donations and they deliver them to the program.

Its a practical project for them to utilize their classroom skills and it teaches them a bit about the organization it requires to help others. There are schools that do drives this one is unique in getting the kids to enter blind data for needs (personal info is protected) and then thinking about how those needs can be met. The matching of collected donations is usually something turned back to the charity if its a generic holiday collection. By matching all the donations to a profile it saves the charity hours of work. You see something similar often when Churches bundle their giving tree donations. They tend to be pre sorted when dropped off to save the charity time figuring out where items should be distributed.

I love this work because the kids get our toys but we also empower teenagers when they realize others believe in the importance of their efforts too.

Edited by Bailey4
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

The local tech high school uses this annual toy drive (although they've expanded it to meet more needs of the families over the years) as a project for the business tech students. They learn to set up a data base that tracks the requests and logs the donations that come in matching items to the names and needs they've been given from a local charity which deals with families in need of Christmas toys and other assistance.

That's why I was waiting this year to see if we were returning back to the high school as they had to get approval from the vocational person in charge that the project was approved to return as it has been suspended for Covid last year.

They have a deadline to collect the requested donations and they deliver them to the program.

Its a practical project for them to utilize their classroom skills and it teaches them a bit about the organization it requires to help others. There are schools that do drives this one is unique in getting the kids to enter blind data for needs (personal info is protected) and then thinking about how those needs can be met. The matching of collected donations is usually something turned back to the charity if its a generic holiday collection. By matching all the donations to a profile it saves the charity hours of work. You see something similar often when Churches bundle their giving tree donations. They tend to be pre sorted when dropped off to save the charity time figuring out where items should be distributed.

I love this work because the kids get our toys but we also empower teenagers when they realize others believe in the importance of their efforts too.

Okay I thought the gifts were for little kids which was correct and I am not so lost as I was before... Thanks for the detail explanation..... I would like to work on some things to add to your  donation stuff for this upcoming year 2022.. Could you please PM me your mailing address thanks.....

Edited by Jayashiangel

On 12/3/2021 at 9:32 AM, Bailey4 said:

344894331_AztecWishes2021.jpg.a6b6e68a43e057576dc0619c28c56b0c.jpg

Dropped off the 16 boxes this morning and it is always such an amazing experience with the high school kids.

The dolls were a big hit with the girls and the Lovey blankets were a surprising hit with one of the boys as it seems to be a family favorite with his little sister.

They were taking pictures while we were there and I understand more were going to be taken.  She promised to send me pics and I of course will share with all of you when I get them.

There is a huge need this year and all of you involved did an amazing job helping to meet it.  The 2021 Doll Donation Project is officially ended and we begin again for 2022.  Thanks to all of you.

I just saw this picture and WOW it is impressive.  Got to get a new box out and start filling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayashiangel said:

Okay I thought the gifts were for little kids which was correct and I am not so lost as I was before... Thanks for the detail explanation..... I would like to work on some things to add to your  donation stuff for this upcoming year 2022.. Could you please PM me your mailing address thanks.....

Sure always happy to get more donations.

On 12/11/2021 at 3:49 PM, magicmau5 said:

I'm currently making a Mandalorian amigurumi for my nephew Sam, a Captain America amigurumi for my nephew Nico, a Bernie Sanders amigurumi for my sister-in-law, and Baby Yoda amigurumi for my brother. Here are photos of the finished products, if you want the pattern links I can provide them too.

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 12.45.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 12.46.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 12.47.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 12.48.48 PM.png

WOW!!

On 12/22/2021 at 12:44 PM, RecycleCindy said:

One more item to share. Here is a bunny lovey I crocheted for my new granddaughter coming in March 2022.

654950425_BunnyLovey11-2021.thumb.JPG.32976426884e68cbf1df65ea61ead4a3.JPG

That's perfect! Congratulations!!

• Like 1

I've finished 2 more christening blankets. I also pulled out every scrap of leftover Homespun yarn and made squares...need to border and join them now. 

20211222_094335.jpg

20211216_180611.jpg

Edited by judianne
Added pictures

I've never thought I would make clothes for... horses... 😄

My nieces have a new passion - horses. They have quite a collection that grew a bit during Christmas. Anyway, as you may know, it's winter, so the horses are cold and something should be done about it.

So I borrowed one horse for one day and made horse clothes 😅 My nieces were very happy.  

20211227_114314.thumb.jpg.0191d172db3cc6bf3ab29b51a8357e0a.jpg20211227_114453.thumb.jpg.a2ab20407cf5fedd518298d11a0831a9.jpg20211227_114529.thumb.jpg.ba52c615700fe177336ebf94ea36c32b.jpg20211227_114615.thumb.jpg.2b043e1d7f67ba347262ac385a5d580b.jpg

• Like 1

Great idea for the horse blankets. They look very nice. I too am a horse nut since I was a little girl and had a toy collection of a dozen of different breeds, plus, I always had 2 real horses. I used to sew the toys blankets and saddle blankets. I was fortunate to be able to grow up with horses and to this day, they are my favorite animal. I sure do miss riding.

Edited by ReniC
  • Like 2

Sister 2 was obsessed with those horses and bought them for my younger sister and I.  She would have loved those blankets.  What a great idea the girls.  Chained halters/reins would be fun too.

I have one head band left to make for the last Little Cutesies Christmas gift.  Yes heavily delayed.  Should be delivered tomorrow but if not we are going to make arrangements to just drop gifts off as it could easily become spring at this rate and Christmas themed things at Easter is just weird.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2021 at 1:54 PM, Apak said:

I've never thought I would make clothes for... horses... 😄

My nieces have a new passion - horses. They have quite a collection that grew a bit during Christmas. Anyway, as you may know, it's winter, so the horses are cold and something should be done about it.

So I borrowed one horse for one day and made horse clothes 😅 My nieces were very happy.  

20211227_114314.thumb.jpg.0191d172db3cc6bf3ab29b51a8357e0a.jpg20211227_114453.thumb.jpg.a2ab20407cf5fedd518298d11a0831a9.jpg20211227_114529.thumb.jpg.ba52c615700fe177336ebf94ea36c32b.jpg20211227_114615.thumb.jpg.2b043e1d7f67ba347262ac385a5d580b.jpg

Looks like it was a fun and easy project!

• judianne changed the title to Gift-making in 2021...TOPIC CLOSED TO COMMENTS