Gift-making in 2021...TOPIC CLOSED TO COMMENTS

judianne

Mermaid in a Shell Playset

I really do love this woman's playset.  Mary Jo often changes her patterns to thread.  The only regret I have about this is I didn't change it to sport cotton.  That has become my go to move with my amis lately.  It makes them a little smaller but sturdier.  Other than that I rather like this set.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Bailey4 said:

Mermaid in a Shell Playset

I really do love this woman's playset.  Mary Jo often changes her patterns to thread.  The only regret I have about this is I didn't change it to sport cotton.  That has become my go to move with my amis lately.  It makes them a little smaller but sturdier.  Other than that I rather like this set.

That is sooo cute!

4 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

If you don't want to buy the book you may be able to find it in the library.  I previewed their copy before buying.  Kerry Lord has a cool octupus (real looking vs. cute) in her How to Crochet Animals: Ocean.  There are several editions of her How to Crochet series focusing on different types of animals.

There is an even cooler one in Bathtime Buddies.  Again if you can find a library copy I'd suggest getting theirs.  This is the most realistic one I've come across to date.  You can buy the PDF copy from Martingale or I got a PDF from Ravelry so it stays in my library and I can dowload it again without having to find my saved copy.  There is a Kindle copy that is the cheapest route but I can't work from my Kindle while crocheting.  I've been hunting a second hand copy of this book but the prices are crazy.

I've seen lots of free "cute" octopi but so far these are the only 2 realistic looking octopi I've seen for amis.  I'm hoping to complete the Bathtime.  If not then I'll fall back to the Ocean version.

Thank you for the info. I checked the local library and they are still only online right now because of the remodeling so, I can't get my card renewed for some odd reason. I don't think the gal I spoke to was very informed so I'll call them again and hopefully someone else will answer. This is a Christmas gift for the little guy so I have time to get that straightened out. 

I did find this free pattern this morning. No indication of size so, I may need to use thread for a smaller size. 🙂

• Like 1

I don't know what size the rest of your animals are but you might want to try sport weight and a D hook before you go down to thread.  She's using DK yarn with an H hook that's a decent sized hook for an ami, especially with DK instead of worsted.  I would think if you went down in weight a size and dropped the hook to match you might not need thread depending on how small you want them to be for your set.

This one looks a good deal like the one in Bathtime Buddies.  I like the way it demonstrates what the octupus looks like.

On 5/4/2021 at 1:17 PM, Bailey4 said:

I don't know what size the rest of your animals are but you might want to try sport weight and a D hook before you go down to thread.  She's using DK yarn with an H hook that's a decent sized hook for an ami, especially with DK instead of worsted.  I would think if you went down in weight a size and dropped the hook to match you might not need thread depending on how small you want them to be for your set.

This one looks a good deal like the one in Bathtime Buddies.  I like the way it demonstrates what the octupus looks like.

Thanks for all the info. As you suggested, I'll first make a swatch and if too large I'll step down in yarn/thread size. I have all the patterns printed now, so, when the afghan is finished (3 rows to go) then I'll start on the little sea creatures. I'm going to cover a box to keep everything in with either stickers of sea creatures or I'll get real ambitious and paint it myself. We'll see.

Chris Love the mermaid and Reni that is a cool octopus.

If you don't want to go down to thread, try size 5 or 3 cotton.  They will bring the size down.  Usually with size 10 thread, it cuts the size in 1/2.  I have not looked at mine lately, but I think the 5 or 3 cotton uses a B or C hook or even a D.

I have 3 packages to go out.  I just have to get them packed up. 

Have a great day.

• Like 1

I hope everyone has a good day tomorrow,  however you observe mother's day...it can be a hard day for many.

Hugs

• Like 2

4 hours ago, judianne said:

I hope everyone has a good day tomorrow,  however you observe mother's day...it can be a hard day for many.

Hugs

So very true. I lost my Mom in 2019.

On 5/4/2021 at 1:57 PM, ReniC said:

I did find this free pattern this morning. No indication of size so, I may need to use thread for a smaller size. 🙂

I was looking at that pattern. According to my calculations....IF you would use Worsted Weight yarn and crochet tight that head would be little over 4" high. Obviously the thinner the yarn the smaller that head will be.

I crochet  my amigurumi almost always using RHSS yarn (worsted weight). So I have no idea how much difference would be using Sport weight yarn or any other weight of yarn.

I know that probably is not much of help to you.

Krys

1 hour ago, USpolishgirl said:

I was looking at that pattern. According to my calculations....IF you would use Worsted Weight yarn and crochet tight that head would be little over 4" high. Obviously the thinner the yarn the smaller that head will be.

I crochet  my amigurumi almost always using RHSS yarn (worsted weight). So I have no idea how much difference would be using Sport weight yarn or any other weight of yarn.

I know that probably is not much of help to you.

Krys

Hi Krys- I haven't had a chance to test out yarn/thread sizes for this octopus yet. Too many life altering things going on and finishing up the afghan. I do thank you though for always being so helpful. 

• Like 1

Even Barbie is getting ready for grilling season.

Barbie Barbeque

I can't believe you converted me to thread Tampa Doll but having the ergonomic hooks has really made the difference.  I'm not sure it will ever be my first choice for projects but it is no longer the voyage of the dammed.

All of Barbie's family should hopefully have a few outfits to head off in for the donation.

• Like 1

Maybe I need more coffee... but I had this picture of the shrimp you will crochet and the Barbie outfit...

and some one throwing the shrimp on Barbie...

In my best Aussie voice, throw another shrimp on the barbie

off to drink that 2nd cup, I'll be chuckling all day

• Haha 3

:rofl

They live in alternate universes.  We have the summer birthday universe, the sea/ocean and the Christmas doll donation universe.  They don't have many inter-dimensional interactions. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, minwifeof4boys said:

Maybe I need more coffee... but I had this picture of the shrimp you will crochet and the Barbie outfit...

and some one throwing the shrimp on Barbie...

In my best Aussie voice, throw another shrimp on the barbie

off to drink that 2nd cup, I'll be chuckling all day

7 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

:rofl

They live in alternate universes.  We have the summer birthday universe, the sea/ocean and the Christmas doll donation universe.  They don't have many inter-dimensional interactions. 

Thank you both for the best laugh of the day.

• Like 1

On to Barbie's sister Skipper.  The last time I traveled to the Barbie universe for Skipper I didn't use thread for her.  I do however have a whole Annie's digest size book in thread dedicated to the "little sister" so I'm determined to get some use from it this time around.  The patterns are designed for Skipper but after trying the Skipper Dress I'm working on now on Stacie the 7" doll I think if I go down in hook size these patterns might fit her too.  It's worth a try. 

Anyways first up

Skipper Short Set

• Like 1

Good morning everyone.

Ah Lea, a shrimp on the Barbie is funny.  You can even make crocheting funny.

Didn't even get on yesterday, as I spent most of the day sleeping.  Got a cortisone shot in the knee yesterday, does not feel to bad.  

AS usually I leave a place in style.  I left the Dr. off went to get into the car and WHAM down I went.  4 nurses and 2 therapy guys finally got me into the car.  Embarrassing is not the word.  I swear everyone but the Dr. was looking.  Very bad arthritis in the right knee.  

Sunday we will have bars put into the toilet area to help me get up. I am thinking of bars in the shower, so I can get one.

That is my saga.  No ambition to crochet.  That is why I come over here.  

The knee is feeling somewhat better.

Love everyone's project.  I try to come on everyday, even if I do not post.

We are at 69 right now, but by the end of the week, we will be in the 80's.

Have a fun day.

• Like 1

• judianne changed the title to Gift-making in 2021...TOPIC CLOSED TO COMMENTS