Beginner- need yarn recs! :)

Gabilove1999

Hey guys! I'm just getting back into crochet and am learning more about yarn. I'm interested in making amigurumi, scarves, blankets, slippers, scrunchies, etc. I am slowly learning more about yarn weights as well. Do you all have any general yarn recommendations? Yarn brands you love? Yarn I shouldn't waste my money on? Any tips? Dump any and all yarn info here pls! Much appreciated!

Actually the yarn depends on what you are making?

See I use cotton for some on my ami's, it is not just for potholders and such.

I like a soft yarn for afghans, Like Red Heart's soft or even I Love this yarn.

Like the way you hold you hook, it is a preference.  I make a lot of my ami's in thread, instead of yarn.

• Like 2

When you get a chance stop in and peruse the Crochet Reference section in the forum. Look for the topic titled “online or text references” for beginners. 
Preferred yarn all depends on what I’m making. I have a stash of fingering,sport, worsted and thread. Assortment of fiber: cotton, wool and blends and acrylic yarn. 

• Like 2

For Ami's, I prefer Red Heart Super Saver and a H/8 hook (or even smaller sometimes) to get that tight tension. Another choice for Ami's I like is 100% cotton and a G/6 hook. For afghans, scarves, gloves, etc. I prefer Vanna's Choice and other 4 weight Lion Brand yarns, depends on the actual type of project . For some scarves and hats I'll use 3 weight yarn for a light weight fell and different drape.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I love to design ami and I either use Red Heart or I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby. The ILTY is softer than Red Heart which I really like. There are many ww acrylic yarns that are good to use. I’ve also used Caron Simply Soft but unless the pattern directly calls for that the size may be different and give a different look to the finished item. I only use acrylic yarn for ami. 

Most of the time I use Red Heart Super Saver! :). For  Baby stuff I use different yarns (softer) or softer and thinner.

You just can not go wrong spending money on RHSS! :). I always have  that yarn in my stash  probably in ALL COLORS & SHADES...LOL.

Krys

On 12/31/2020 at 6:35 AM, Tampa Doll said:

I make a lot of my ami's in thread, instead of yarn

I almost always use yarn for my Amigurumi. Because it goes a lot faster. Bigger stitches & less rows.  Crocheting with thread all those tiny stitches with tiny hooks that is not my thing! :(. I would need to crochet many of them, because I  crochet VERY TIGHT so that stuffing will not be showing up between stitches. That dos not look good!. I ONLY use thread for a very small parts like a nose for Snowman, tiny flowers & things like that.

Depending on the age of who you are giving the ami to, decides what I use.  As to keeping the stuffing from showing thru, I used old stockings to put the stuffing in, if it is a large area, or I do not stuff to tight.

See like I said, it is like holding your hook a matter of preference.  I like small ami's as they do not take up as much room, if I am making them for display.

• 1 month later...

I think beginners have a difficult time with specialty yarns -- boucle's, some mohairs, double-stranded yarns, ladder yarns, ribbon yarns. 

I don't have any recommendations for specific brands etc, -- in my beginning days, it was very dependent on $$$ and availability in local stores.  So for me it was Coats white cotton thread or Redheart acrylic. 

My best suggestion is sample.  We all have our loves and hates and reasons why we got there.  Try a brand on an ami and see if you like it before buying up the stock.

I made only acrylic ami's for years and then got introduced to sports weight cotton through a couple designers and am hooked on those now too and have bins full of that yarn for those projects.  I haven't abandoned by acrylic ami's I've just added.

I swore I'd never work in thread again but after updating my thread hooks I'm making ami style finger puppets for Easter this year in size 10 cotton.  It really comes down to what you enjoy making and what types of fiber work for you.

I tend to prefer yarns I can get easily online or locally but I know people who will only work from LYS type yarns even for toys.  That is their choice but it ups the price significantly per project.  Price is a factor when I'm considering yarns to use for my projects.  So again my answers might be different than others.

I would suggest trying before creating a stash.  I bought scrubbie yarn only to learn it made my hands itch so I passed it on to my MIL for their local stitch group.  While not allergic to it I tend to avoid wool and wool blends because I hate the itchiness of it.  I suspected I would be based on my avoidence of it from childhood items my Mom made but until I made something with it I wasn't sure.  Now I don't buy wool.  Sometimes you just don't know what you will use until you try it.

Best option is to look for sales and if you are buying online try for shipping deals and sample items you might be interested in using.  Just a note not all brands are similar in weight.  Planet June is collecting acrylic worsted 4 weight yarns on Ravelry right now to do a test for ami's to demonstrate the difference in the various brands of yarn to show how that can effect using different yarns on ami projects.  Generally it will only make a project larger/smaller if you stick with the same brand for the whole project, but it can make a difference when you mix brands for a project.