How to widen sleeve on granny square jacket

Granny Janny

Question

Good morning! I have crocheted all the squares for the Yarnspirations Red Heart Granny Square Short Jacket and am starting to assemble. I find that the sleeves will be way too narrow, only 11 inches around and I need about 14-15" around at top part of arms. There are no instructions for assembling the sleeves at all, but someone did say the extra square is for a gusset underneath the arm opening.  I am not an advanced crochet artist, but I think maybe I should do the same as the connections to the back sides to increase the jacket size, adding 6 rows of the MC.  If anyone has thoughts on this, I really appreciate  your help! Thank you very much!

Janice Yechout

1 answer to this question

Did you scroll down to the last page of the pattern, which shows how all the pieces go together?  It shows the extra gusset piece.

The sleeve is 3 squares = 16.5" from body to cuff, means that 1 square is 5.5" along 1 side - that is the additional underarm measurement that piece will give you, that will taper down the sleeve, so that should be plenty roomy per the numbers you gave.

I just did a paper model with a piece of scrap paper since I was having difficulty picturing this, but what this gives you is an armhole that is 4 squares around where the body meets the sleeve, and then tapers to 4 squares around.  So the armhole opening = 4 squares around, or 22", then tapers at a 45° angle to 5.5" down the sleeve, to 2 squares around, or 11".

This looks tidier than my poor little piece of paper, see the sketch below.  Edit, for clarity, you are only looking at this in profile, as if it were all sewn together ready to attach to the body, so you are not seeing the other half of the sleeve "under" this part.

edited to fix sketch, I had it 1 square too long.  Also, link to pattern so you can see the diagram

granny square gusset.jpg

Edited by Granny Square