Help Please!

Marit

Question

2 answers to this question

Look at the diagram, on the left side, which is a little bit cut off, but you can still see part of the chain.  You are on the second row of the diagram, and if you were following it instead of the written section, you'd be reading the stitches left to right on that row.  If you haven't used diagrams before, you follow the rows alternately this way< , then that> way.  It helps (me) to cover up the rows I haven't done yet with a piece of paper and move it up each row, so my fabric looks like the part of the diagram I can see--this helps me ensure everything matches up.  When I finish a row, I 'tick mark' the  row at the point I ended it, in other words my tick marks are going to be all on 1 side for even rows, and the other side for odd rows - this keeps my place when I pick it up later, and reminds me which way I need to follow the next row.

The chain 4 is 'coming out of' the middle DC of a 5 DC shell.  Reading left to right, the first 2 DCs are in the rightmost 2 DCs of that shell, the next one is in the following SC, and the 4th DC is in/around the ch-1 space.