Crochet Jasmine Stitch

Nishita

Question

1 answer to this question

Just including a link to see the stitch- I think it's hilarious the crochet hook in the photo says "we are knitters".  :lol 

Caveat: I'm made a lot of things in a lot of stitches but I personally prefer more structured stitches (so I sub popcorns for bobbles, for example) and never used the jasmine stitch in a project; I think this stitch would be more appropriate as a trim at the neck, hem and sleeve edges, a garment made all of this stitch is going to be like wearing a giant pot holder, or fencing gear.

It's also going to be a colossal yarn-eater.  Even simple post stitches (like cables, basket weave patterns) can consume quite a bit more yarn per inch of project than a plain SC or DC.  This stitch is a lot more yarn intensive than post stitches.

What I would do if I were you, and the most accurate way to answer your question with YOUR gauge, is to find a pattern similar to the style you want to make, in the same weight of yarn you want to use, and make a generous swatch - at least 6" square, bigger is better - in the the stitch pattern & hook size that the pattern uses.  Then make another swatch the same size in Jasmine stitch. 

Unravel both swatches and measure the yardage of both swatches.  Get your calculator out.  Let's say the pattern calls for 5 skeins of z yarn, and the yardage per skein skeins of z yarn is 200 yards, so that pattern requires 1000 yards.  Unravel the pattern's 6" swatch and measure it - let's say that swatch consumed 20 yards.

Now unravel the Jasmine stitch swatch.  Let's say it consumed 35 yards, which is 1.5 times more yarn than your comparison stitch pattern swatch used - so if the pattern needed 1000 yards, you would need 1500 yards for your Jasmine stitch sweater (never buy less yarn than you think you need, you will never find that die lot again--so that would be 8 skeins of my fictitious pattern's yarn).

Don't go by my numbers, I just made them up for easy math to demonstrate the calculation process; I really suspect the Jasmine stitch will use up several times more yarn than a plain DC or SC pattern, not just 1.5x.