Different sized squares?? Please help

bubtownpop3

Question

Hello all, I just joined because I am desperate for help with my project. I am trying to finish my first real project--a large afghan for my mom. I was really pleased with my progress and my squares look great, but recently I took them all out of the box I've been putting them in when done and I realized they're not all the same size :(

I meticulously counted each square and they all have the correct # rows and stitches, so my gauge must have changed slightly depending on the pattern. I have 3 "small", 9 "medium" (I'm assuming the size they are supposed to be?), and 8 "large". See the attached pictures for my sorted piles as well as the relative difference in size. I think I might be able to block the medium ones to the size of the large ones (I say never having blocked before) but definitely not for the smalls. If I were to add some sort of border to increase the size then there would be different #s of stitches when I try to join them. 

What is the best way to fix this? 

Thanks for any and all help! 

IMG_20201207_113911304.jpg

IMG_20201207_113723419.jpg

3 answers to this question

Do you still have some of the yarn left over of all those colors?  Sort them by size, and for the smaller ones, add a row (or 2) of SC around - the top photo looks like 1 round of SC would make the smaller one pretty close to the larger one.  (your stitchwork is lovely BTW, and you've chosen some not-beginner stitch patterns) 

Also, when you attach them, choose a scheme that doesn't butt them together but makes small gaps between - this will allow them to 'float'.  Even with adding a round, they may be close but not exactly the same size, and the blanket won't lie flat.  I'll see if I can find a 'how to' for that method to attach squares.

• Like 1

https://www.craftpassion.com/12-ways-to-join-granny-squares/  Scroll down to the chain join method, this is a very simple way to join squares that leaves a gap and helps disguise slightly different sized squares (you're still going to have to get them as close as you can by adding to the smaller squares).  Or scroll down for a few fancier open joins.

Are they different patterns? That could be the problem. If there are only 3 small ones you could take them apart and make them with a larger hook. As for blocking the medium ones, just stretch them a little and see if that works first.

Ellie 13