Is there a way to fix cheap hooks?

Kaysteeze

Question

I've tried looking this up, and I only get results about cleaning your hooks. My issues is that my inexpensive metal hooks I bought from Amazon are catching the yarn. Yarn slides over my other metal hooks like silk, so why are these new ones so inferior! It's the difference between sliding on a wood floor with socks on versus trying to slide with bare feet. 😆

Is there a secret to fixing my new hooks? Can I polish up the metal? Coat them with clear varnish? Windex? Tooth paste? 

I thought I'd find SOME sort of hack when I Googled this problem, but Google had nothing for me. 

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  And bummer for having that problem.  I don't think I'd try to paint them, it would probably just peel off and you'd have more of a mess.  Plus, crochet hooks are measured by fraction of a millimeter so (I suspect) you could affect the sizing a little by adding a layer of paint.

I'd try 0000 steel wool, which is meant for a very smooth finish. This article ranked the abrasiveness of toothpaste, too bad it didn't compare it to sandpaper/steel wool (weird color scheme on that blog, I had to highlight the text to read it).  Maybe try toothpaste first  and finish off with the 0000 steel wool.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2020 at 2:14 PM, Kaysteeze said:

I've had small burrs on hooks that I removed with fine sandpaper.  Sandpaper comes in different grades of fine-ness.  I start with a rough and work down to a fine grade.