what stitch is this?

mariano8

Question

i’m pretty good at crocheting but i have a hard time looking at something and knowing what stitch/stitches were used. 

i have a picture but not sure how to submit it. 

thanks!

maria

219397C7-2FFF-45BB-B5C5-BF656D0C280C.jpeg

0931F51A-3798-48D1-8A36-2D5AA12768FC.jpeg

059F25C9-7648-4067-8828-C25450A0D312.jpeg

Edited by mariano8
photo added

3 answers to this question

It's knit - garter stitch, with (looks like) knit 1 purl 1 ribbing edging (appears too narrow for k2p2).

If you don't knit, the basic stitches are knit and purl.  Garter stitch is all knitting, with turned rows (or all purling with turned rows).  Purls are the mirror of knit stitches, so If you knit on 1 side and purl on the other, it makes a smooth side called 'stockinette' that is what you are used to seeing on purchased machine knit sweaters.

I started to mention that, but deleted that part; it's true that Tunisian knit and purl sts visually resemble the knit versions, however it does not resemble knit fabric texture-wise; the stitches are much denser/thicker.  You might be able to get some drape using an overlarge hook, but you wouldn't be able to follow a knitting pattern for a wearable using a Tunisian knit stitch and the same yarn.

However, there is a technique called Knooking, which I just remembered (I knit, tried knooking very briefly but prefer the real thing).  It's creating actual knit and purl stitches with a crochet hook with a string on the back end, which acts as the 'needle' to hold the stitches.  Knit and purl stitches are basically just the 'pull up a loop' part of a crochet stitch, so is really easier than crochet in that respect, with variations on how the loop is pulled up and dealt with.