Sign in to follow this  
str8wberry

Inv Dc

Question

Sorry to bother but i’m a bit stuck.. again 🙈 A lot of my inv dc parts on the end of a project end up very spaced apart and loose, i’m doing them as tight as possible but always ends up the same. any advice? thanks :)image.thumb.jpg.aaeec054f360917fe7e670961ba3278a.jpg

4 answers to this question

Use a smaller hook for that area, or swap hooks for just that stitch? 

I have to say, I've never bothered with a FLO ('invisible") decrease, but you are working with half the yarn as a regular one; might be worthwhile experimenting to see if regular decreases work better?  No idea, but can't hurt to experiment...altho you' think you could pull tighter with fewer loops, hmmm...

Part of stitch gauge is stitch height, and some people pull their initial loops up higher than others - that link is an interesting read from designer Doris Chan, I am a yanker and I've never had issues like your photo.  I don't make tight stitches - for most patterns I hit width gauge with the recommended hook - they are just a little short.  I'm wondering if the looseness is extra loftiness?

Edited by Granny Square

Just making sure we are talking UK DC US sc?

What thickness of yarn are you using with what size hook?

I've made lots of these shapes over the years and honestly it looks like your hook is large for the yarn.  If the hook size is correct when you crochet it should be tight enough that the stuffing doesn't show through but it isn't straining at the seems tight.  You shouldn't have holes in your ami.  The point of crocheting tightly is that you don't have holes the stuffing will come out.

I honestly don't think this is the invisible decrease.  I use it all the time both for ami's and other projects and I've never seen t create these gaping kinds of holes.  It actually makes a nice neat finish for your toy.  I started out doing the regular decrease and moved to the invisible because it does make a neater toy.

I suggest Planet June's tutorials here.

11 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

Just making sure we are talking UK DC US sc?

What thickness of yarn are you using with what size hook?

I've made lots of these shapes over the years and honestly it looks like your hook is large for the yarn.  If the hook size is correct when you crochet it should be tight enough that the stuffing doesn't show through but it isn't straining at the seems tight.  You shouldn't have holes in your ami.  The point of crocheting tightly is that you don't have holes the stuffing will come out.

I honestly don't think this is the invisible decrease.  I use it all the time both for ami's and other projects and I've never seen t create these gaping kinds of holes.  It actually makes a nice neat finish for your toy.  I started out doing the regular decrease and moved to the invisible because it does make a neater toy.

I suggest Planet June's tutorials here.

I think it’s the US version, it’s the same one as the Planet June’s tutorial where i use the two FLO. I’m using a 3mm hook for a UK DK yarn that recommends a 4mm hook. I’ll try experimenting with a different sized hook and the regular decrease. Thank you both! :)