joining finished motifs

AK_Kathy

Question

Hi! I am an experienced crocheter, but I am at a loss as to how to join these motifs. I have many of these squares finished and want to join them into a table runner. I want a crocheted join. I have tried SC join an d Slip stitch join, but am not happy with the seam. I do not want to take away from the motifs, and I do not want to see a seam. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

crochet motifs, square.jpg

4 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

Thread motifs are rarely sewn together (I'm a threadie, I mostly make thread items).  Actually, I'm surprised if you used a thread motif pattern, it didn't tell you how to join them to make a bedspread or tablecloth or whatever.

When you make your next motif, you 'join as you go', if the project is x motifs you don't make x motifs and sew them up.  Take a look a youtube, there are a lot of ways to "JAYG", but for these I'd join at the red spots I've marked below.  The simplest way to do this is--the spots I've marked are all chain loops.  In the middle of a chain loop in the last round of the next motif you are currently making, "reach over" and slip stitch into the corresponding spot on a finished motif, complete the chain loop and come back to the motif you are finishing and proceed to the next chain loop, repeat.

join.jpg

Edited by Granny Square

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! 

I have started again with this motif, and am using the JAYG technique!  I do not have a pattern for the motif, but just improvised from a picture that I liked. Now if I could just think of a use for the dozens of finished motifs i already have!

Thanks again!

If you left long enough ends on your motifs ( and you havent worked them in) you could undo a side or two and rework a side or two JAYG.  You could also design another round to add to these and then JAYG doing that round.