Lauryn

str8wberry

Question

13 answers to this question

I think it's normal, really.  If it's for a youngster, you probably don't want to put something that could cause harm (like a pipe cleaner), and the double thick ears seem plenty stiff.  For floppy legs, firmer stuffing where leg meets body or the plastic canvas 'bones' + stuffing as I described should be relative safe.

• Thanks 1

I'd say probably normal, actually unless the pattern called for it, it wouldn't have occurred to me to make double-thick ears because of the floppy factor.

Edit, look at the top photo, an elephant's ears look to be mostly thin skin, this poor old guy/gal's thin ears have been actually torn.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1

I'm seeing a head, and an - ear? I'm probably not picturing it right.

If it's an ear, and you want it stiff (like ears sticking up, like a horse or Doberman maybe) - a small ear will probably sit up by itself, but big ears (like a rabbit) might need to be 2 pieces sewn together to  be double thick, or 2 layers stiffened with plastic canvas between them. 

If the head is floppy at the neck not sturdy at the body connection, a short tube of plastic canvas, stuffed with polyfill spanning between the floppy piece and body can help (Joann's carries it in single sheets, Walmart maybe (you'd only need part of a sheet). 

I think the ears look great, seeing your second set of photos!  The part that folds at the top gives it just the right amount of support I think.

Don't apologize, elephant ears was the only thing I could think of from their size, but by the photo's orientation, I was thinking the whole ear was supposed to stick straight up in the air, so I thought it must be something else.

Your elephant ears looks great the way they are.

You can always get "thicker" ears by crocheting them in rounds, press that with your hand down to make it flat before you sew that to the head.  You can create almost any shape of ears with that method.

Krys