Colors

LoveCrochetQueen

Question

Good afternoon, 

I’m currently crocheting the Revival Cardigan. I love the pattern love the traditional look with the modern twist. This pattern requires some granny. Now this is my problem I have the colors I love and I’m making the square. Now I don’t know if I should make every square the same or different. I will leave a link for the free pattern. 

https://makeanddocrew.com/revival-crochet-granny-square-sweater-pattern/

image.jpg

7 answers to this question

Its really going to boil down to what you are going to be happy with it.  Decisions, decisions.  Do you want to see the squares or do you want your eye drawn to the circles within the squares?  If you go with all the same square then which combination of colors do you use?  Both your squares are pretty.  It generally takes me longer to decide on colors than to do the project. 

The contrast of the colors and their arrangement on the right is great.  The square on the left looks like white, blue, muddle, muddle to ME--I see Bgs has replied as I'm looking at this, she's right, what will YOU be happy with?  I'd personally probably use the dark grey and lavender for other projects, and either use the colors in the right square as arranged or alternating light and dark in different orders - black and dark blue as dark colors, light grey and white as light colors.

Here is your photo in greyscale - see what I mean about those outer 2 colors on the left not contrasting?  Changing a photo to greyscale helps to determine how colors relate to each other - sometimes you want them to blend in, sometimes you don't, but mixing contrast and blending...well it looks odd to my eye for whatever that's worth.

Untitled-1.jpg

Thank you. Very much. I think is the low quality of my picture shows. The blue is purple. And well idk what I want lol. I love the sweater and I’ve been dying to make it. But eveytime I do a square I say. Nope It could be better, or the color combo isn’t “right” too dark or too light. Then the rest of the sweater is black . Any only the squares have a splash of color.  

Crochet Queen,

Nice sweater! I went to the link you shared. My questions are: Who is this sweater for? What will the base/front color be? Blue/purple? Or some other color?

If you are using a neutral, tan, white or grey for the main sweater these other combinations would go well. For a contrast try the complimentary color to blue (orange) as an accent, or purple (yellow) as an accent, but you could also add in green.

There is a lot of movement with the design of these squares. Probably the reason the entire sweater is not done in them. If this sweater is going to be fun then mix it up. Use purple, yellow, (yellow-orange), green, etc. If you want something more subtle then let the design be the “texture” and keep various shades of purple, or blue for your squares.

Angela