Sign in to follow this  
TriTam

Rough Scratchy Yarn

Question

I have probably an odd question for an unusual need and I am clueless on crocheting.  What would be an extremely rough and scratchy yarn that could be used for crocheting?  Would need a little stretch but not much and be able to do what I assume are smaller stitches.  

Thanks for understanding that I know nothing and for any help you can provide.

Tam

3 answers to this question

For scratchy yarn, Red Heart has a Scrubby yarn or Scrubby Sparkly, typically used to make pot scrubbers, but, the skeins are not very large.

Welcome to the 'ville!  There are some brands of yarn that make 'scrubby' versions, they are meant to be used for scrubbing dishes.  (Red Heart and Hobby Lobby have a scrubby variety, there may be others)

Some people think acrylic yarn is scratchy and unsuitable for wearables, but I'm wearing a pullover sweater right now made out of Red Heart Super saver and it is not at all scratchy - scratchy is in the eye of the beholder I guess.  I use leftover bits of acrylic for my dish scrubbers, they work fairly well for ordinary dishwashing; for baked on gunk I soak and then use a bit of powdered dishwasher soap, it provides the grit and soap.  The only thing I've ever used the actual scrubby yarn for is an ornamental cactus.

Hi Reni, I think we hit post at the same time! :hi 

Edited by Granny Square

On 11/14/2020 at 10:03 AM, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!  There are some brands of yarn that make 'scrubby' versions, they are meant to be used for scrubbing dishes.  (Red Heart and Hobby Lobby have a scrubby variety, there may be others)

Some people think acrylic yarn is scratchy and unsuitable for wearables, but I'm wearing a pullover sweater right now made out of Red Heart Super saver and it is not at all scratchy - scratchy is in the eye of the beholder I guess.  I use leftover bits of acrylic for my dish scrubbers, they work fairly well for ordinary dishwashing; for baked on gunk I soak and then use a bit of powdered dishwasher soap, it provides the grit and soap.  The only thing I've ever used the actual scrubby yarn for is an ornamental cactus.

Hi Reni, I think we hit post at the same time! :hi 

We probably did. 😄