Help with Lion Brand Celtic Afghan Pattern!

Question

Hi everyone! I am currently trying to make the Lion Brand's Celtic Afghan for my mother for Christmas. There is a video demonstrating the first 5 rows which were helpful and I followed along fine. However, I assume one needs to keep repeating the rows, which I am fine with for other patterns in the afghan except the cabling pattern. The written pattern is not much help and I don't know how to continue on the cabling, even following the written pattern. Could anyone possibly help? Thanks!

Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AcxPU9MlA4&list=WL&index=51

Link to the written pattern: https://www.lionbrand.com/products/crochet-pattern-celtic-afghan-1

4 answers to this question

I am not always terribly good at explaining things.  I could not do this from a video.  I need a written pattern.  The written pattern has the instructions for each of the 3 cables on page 3 but if you look on page 4 these same instructions are shown in diagram form along with the stitch key.  

Actual afghan instructions are bottom of page 4 and are really short because it keeps referring you back to each of 3 cables written instructions or diagrams.

Ok you do your chains.  You do the foundation row.  "Next row" is where you start the cables.  Each cable pattern consists of 4 rows ( go to diagram or written instructions for each of 3 cable patterns).  You continually repeat next row  but but you are doing  rows 1 thru 4 for each "cable pattern" over and over    (1st "next row" you would be working row 1 of your cable, 2nd "next row" you work row 2 of your cables, 3rd "next row" work row 3 of cables, 4th "next row" work row 4 of cables, 5th "next row" work row 1 of cables)  until you reach the length you want---pattern says about 59 1/2 inches. Now you work instructions for last row.

So the first row in the video should be the foundation row in written pattern and rows 2 thru 5 in video would be the "next rows" in written pattern.  You would continue video rows 2 thru 5 until you reach length.  Then you would do the last row dont know if that was covered in video.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, bgs said:

I am not always terribly good at explaining things.  I could not do this from a video.  I need a written pattern.  The written pattern has the instructions for each of the 3 cables on page 3 but if you look on page 4 these same instructions are shown in diagram form along with the stitch key.  

Actual afghan instructions are bottom of page 4 and are really short because it keeps referring you back to each of 3 cables written instructions or diagrams.

Ok you do your chains.  You do the foundation row.  "Next row" is where you start the cables.  Each cable pattern consists of 4 rows ( go to diagram or written instructions for each of 3 cable patterns).  You continually repeat next row  but but you are doing  rows 1 thru 4 for each "cable pattern" over and over    (1st "next row" you would be working row 1 of your cable, 2nd "next row" you work row 2 of your cables, 3rd "next row" work row 3 of cables, 4th "next row" work row 4 of cables, 5th "next row" work row 1 of cables)  until you reach the length you want---pattern says about 59 1/2 inches. Now you work instructions for last row.

So the first row in the video should be the foundation row in written pattern and rows 2 thru 5 in video would be the "next rows" in written pattern.  You would continue video rows 2 thru 5 until you reach length.  Then you would do the last row dont know if that was covered in video.

I don't have any instructions to add just wanted to say, You did a great job explaining this one Brenda!

• Like 2

Agree with Bgs.

Everybody has a different preference for following patterns, and I get that.  I prefer stitch diagrams if they are available, which they are here.  

If you have never worked from a stitch diagram, and since the visual  video instruction helped you and the diagrams are "visual" (less abstract than written), I strongly suggest you give it a try.  The diagrams are only a few stitches across, there's a small # of different stitches to have to recognize.   

If I were doing this, I'd take a screen shot of the part of page 4 that has the 3 stitch diagrams, and either move them around (keeping their names attached) with a graphic program like Paint to line them up : 4, 3, 2, 1, so you can read them in a straight line right to left, then left to right as if they were 1 diagram; if that wasn't a copyright violation I'd do that for you and post it here, it would just take a couple of minutes.  OR, like back in my college days when cutting and pasting essay drafts literally involved tape and scissors - just print the page and literally cut and paste them alongside each other (and maybe also attach the key, too, to help you remember which stitch is which; I always get front and back post symbols mixed up)

• Like 1