Help identifying and learning doily stitch please.

RedSonja

Question

I was asked to finish a doily a friend's elderly mother-in-law began years ago.  The MIL is now 88 years old, no longer crochets and can't remember what stitch she used.  I've never worked with thread or doilies before.  Pictures attached, help most appreciated!  It is the base stitch I need to figure out, between the middle section and the dc/ch sk1 section.  Hook used is size 3 if that helps.

Sonja

IMG_20201029_133940__01.jpg

IMG_20201029_133634.jpg

4 answers to this question

Edit, just looked at the pattern, I think it is referring to what current patterns mostly call the 'back loop', as the 'top loop'.  As you look at the top of the row of stitches that you will be working into, they look like chains, it's the half of the chain that is farthest away from you that is the back loop.

5 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Edit, just looked at the pattern, I think it is referring to what current patterns mostly call the 'back loop', as the 'top loop'.  As you look at the top of the row of stitches that you will be working into, they look like chains, it's the half of the chain that is farthest away from you that is the back loop.

Wow, that's it!  And such a simple stitch, too.  

Thanks so very much for the links, I'm sure my friend will be so happy to know it can be finished.  There weren't enough finished doilies for a full bedspread but there are enough to make a table runner or something similar.

I love the internet!  :)

Sonja