Help with an old pattern

Scotsone

Question

8 answers to this question

I'm having trouble picturing your piece's construction.  

At first I thought you had made a tiny skirt 8" long from the top of the skirt down, and was now attaching the yarn to the top of the skirt, at the chain end, and working up toward the neck by forming an armhole--but that's not it, or you wouldn't be going back to the skirt, and the 'chain base' comes up again later. 

What is the name of the pattern, is it on the 'net?  A photo might help figure out how it's put together.  Is there a pattern diagram, showing shape and measurement of the pieces?

Interesting, that is a common "end look"  for a baby dress or sweater, however I think it's more commonly made from the neck hole down, in 1 continuous piece (except sleeves usually) from neck to bottom hem, then work around the arm holes to add sleeves at the end.  This construction is very simple.

Your pattern, however, is written in a different way because the skirt is worked vertically, and the bodice is made armhole up.  Now I see why it makes sense to come back to the skirt!  The opening is in the back, and the first 8" of the skirt is from mid-back to armpit.  

However, I'm now also as confused as you are, I can see making an armhole at that point making sense, but I'm not seeing how the pattern as written creates the armhole in the bodice as it shows in the photo.

So you finished 8" of the skirt, and broken off the yarn, and are at the waist end.  You attach the yarn to the 6-DC chain base and work across it, skip the first 6 stitches of the skirt and work across the remainder of the skirt.  This may be a my failure of imagination, but by adding a piece that's 6 stitches across to the beginning of a row, and skipping the first 6 stitches of that row and working the remainder of the row (because the stitch count of the skirt remains the same at this step) - this would put the armhole in the skirt - which it clearly is not per the photo.  Sorry I'm no help...

Any other helpers out there that can see what we're missing?

I have very little experience in garments.  I have been studying this for awhile and pulled my hook and yarn out.   Granny Square its just like you explained - an opening in skirt area.  Dont know if this is one of those patterns where you have to take a leap of faith and keep moving along doing what it says no matter how weird it seems and it works.  Maybe looking ahead  at how sleeve and bodice are made and attached gives a clue.

Thanks for getting your yarn out and giving it a try Bgs, I'm usually fair at crocheting in my head but I do blow it on occasion.  The skirt and sleeve lace being made vertically really complicates things.  Totally agree with reading ahead, Scotsone that's a good tip for any pattern that has 'parts' (a garment, a toy) so you understand how it's put together, it helps to keep you on the right path.

What would make sense (to me, if I were designing this (or tweaking it to get it to work) is, at each underarm point of the skirt at the bodice edge side, make a chain loop 12 chains long (assuming the 6 stitch chain base + skipped 6 inches of the skirt is the armhole measure) and continue on with the skirt--the chain loops would become the armholes.  Then, make the (vertical lace) sleeves, either separately and sew them on or 'join as you go' at the armhole edge of the sleeve to 1 loop of the chain.  Then, attach the yarn to work along the bodice side of the skirt and the remaining loops of the chain over the sleeve to create the bodice from the skirt & armholes to neck.

There are hundreds of beautiful baby garments not unlike the ones in the photos.  I would stop struggling to interpret it,  but that is just my way when I can't figure a pattern out.  When a teenager, I did crochet a nice little jacket/top for a baby-to-be and had no difficulty with the pattern. 

Once in a while, I do come across a professionally designed pattern in a booklet or magazine which from my viewpoint is hopeless to interpret.  So, I just keep on looking.  That's just me, though.  I see you are a stick-to-it-ive sort!  😉

This is similar, comes in multiple sizes and uses sport weight yarn, which is what your original pattern calls for.   This starts with the bodice, neck down, all the way to the skirt hem.  I think it would be a lot easier to either do this pattern instead if you like the skirt lace, or do this bodice, and do 'your' skirt in 1 rectangle and sew (or crochet) it to the bodice.

This has shorter sleeves, you could either re-attach the yarn and make the sleeves longer in the plain bodice stitch (or 'this pattern's skirt stitch, you may have to make adjustments to get the stitch multiple to work around the sleeve), or make rectangles in 'your' skirt lace and seam up & sew on.  (for 'your' pattern's rectangles, make a chain a little longer than you think you need and work back, you can pick out the extra chains later, it won't unravel from the knot end).

https://www.lanasyovillos.com/en/clothes/purple-baby-dress