Stuffing something round

Yarnnerd

Question

Hi...I am new to the forum...and I thought I would ask the experts for some advise.  I am crocheting a Mike Wazowski monster from Monsters Inc.  He is pretty big and I'm having trouble making his head/body round while stuffing it.  Do you have any advise?

11 answers to this question

Krys, not sure if you are familiar with the character, but he is mostly a a big round ball.

There's 2 (sort of) conflicting goals for stuffing toys: 

1) you want to crochet as tightly as you can to keep the gaps between the stitches from exposing (too much) stuffing.

2) you want to stuff tightly to keep the toy's shape, but not so tight the stuffing shows.

I don't make a whole lot of stuffed toys, but I end up sometimes poking, pulling/pushing the item around from the outside to get the stuffing even, sometimes poking a hook inside to either cram an area tighter or try to pull a little out of 1 area to redistribute to another. 

I'm not sure what other general advice I can give, if the crocheted shape itself is round, and you have stuffed it consistently (not denser in 1 spot and less to in another), it should end up round.  When stuffing is sold in a bag about the size of a bed pillow--it's very loose; you will need to stuff the toy a lot tighter than it was packaged in the bag.  As in, if your Mike W. is the size of a basketball, it might take more than1 bag of stuffing.

NO, I was not familiar at all. But that name Wazowski it is POLISH! LOL.  Usually any name that ends on "wski" it is Polish :) .  For instance: Lewandowski, Wisniewski, Plotkowski,  Wlackowski and on & on &................! LOL. NOT all Polish names are ending with "wski" BUT very many are.

I have no idea how that kind of character end up with that kind of a name????? LOL

I made many Amigurumi-Toys.  YES, you need to crochet tight!.  NO stuffing should be showing between stitches. That dos NOT look good.

Krys

He's from "Monsters Inc." - a kid's movie, but it's fun - it's about a place where monsters live like humans, drive cars, go to work with their briefcases, and so on, but they all look different - Mike Wazowski's best friend friend is Sully, short for Sullivan (Irish name).  Wiki link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters,_Inc.

I'll attach a picture of the monster in question. He's really turning out big, bigger than I expected.

The pattern uses an E size hook, and I'm using Red Heart Yarn; so the stitches are pretty small.  

Edited by Yarnnerd

The best way is to stuff as you go.  try to keep it from showing thru, sometimes you can help.  You will be pushing and moving the stuffing around till you get the round body.  Best is try and not close it till you get the shape you want.  I am not sure how many stitches you go to the end.  If you have a point where there at say 12 stitches before you go further to close, use that row, to work on getting the shape you want. Push pull, squeeze and add stuffing if needed.    Since he is so big, try not to put small amounts of stuffing in at a time.  The more you can put in, the easier it will be to shape him.

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

He's adorable--he's even got knees! :lol  I can see just by looking at the stitches that they are at a really tight tension. 

I see Tampa Doll has just replied as I'm typing, she makes a lot of stuffed items and knows her 'stuff'!  (ahem).

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

He's adorable--he's even got knees! :lol  I can see just by looking at the stitches that they are at a really tight tension. 

I see Tampa Doll has just replied as I'm typing, she makes a lot of stuffed items and knows her 'stuff'!  (ahem).

Edited by Yarnnerd

When I am finished stuffing and closing all openings, it helps to shape the object with my hands until I'm satisfied with how it looks. I advise to do the same after laundering.