Extreme uneven edge-Help this beginner PLEASE

TraciB71

Question

PLEASE HELP ME

Working on my very first blanket. It's very large and all is half double stitch. My edges are extremely uneven. Have done too much to just unravel and start over. How can I fix messy uneven edges without it being too complicated. Something beginner friendly please and thank you.

3 answers to this question

What do you mean by extremely uneven edges?  A photo would help. Sometimes adding a border will help if its minor.  Its very important to count your stitches and place them correctly.  Its going to boil down to if you are happy or not with the way it looks because more often than not to fix it you have to pull it out and start over.  I kid you not I have pulled out so many stitches that by now they would cover a large house.  

https://www.craftsy.com/post/hacks-crocheting-straighter-edges/

Welcome to the 'ville.

There is no such thing as "I have done too much to unravel and start over (after majorly messing something up)".  If it's wrong, it's wrong; crochet is not like knitting where you can purposely 'drop down' and fix (some) mistakes, the only way to fix crochet is rip and to do-over. 

Sorry to bring my 'mom' voice.  The time to have attacked the problem was the first time you realized it was happening, which I am guessing was probably before it got 'very large'.  A hard lesson for a beginner but there it is.  It happens to non-beginners too, I have ripped miles and miles of yarn over the decades when I discovered a mistake a few rows down.  As a beginner I learned to 'admire' (inspect) my work often so hopefully if I found a mistake I wouldn't have to rip TOO far.  Ripping really is part of the process.

Can you post a photo?  Do you know what you did wrong? Maybe we can help diagnose the problem if not; it is very common for beginners to add or subtract stitches at the edge, if that's what you mean by 'uneven'.

I see BGS has posted saying the same thing just now, we are on the same page.