Celine

Celine Tardif

Question

Hi there I’m a beginner and I’m trying to figure out how to read patterns but I’m not figuring out some thing like things that are in brackets. When I read what the brackets mean it always says do what’s in the brackets by the amount of times it says. Well this is what it says Ch3, 2dc [2dc, ch2, 2dc] in ch2 sp. it doesn’t say anything about how many times could someone please just give this to me in English and then I should be able to get it from there. Thanks for your help from one frustrated beginner lol

3 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Celine Tardif said:

Hi there I’m a beginner and I’m trying to figure out how to read patterns but I’m not figuring out some thing like things that are in brackets. When I read what the brackets mean it always says do what’s in the brackets by the amount of times it says. Well this is what it says Ch3, 2dc [2dc, ch2, 2dc] in ch2 sp. it doesn’t say anything about how many times could someone please just give this to me in English and then I should be able to get it from there. Thanks for your help from one frustrated beginner lol

Some times you have to guess a bit with patterns and try multiple things and see which works.  It looks like you are making something using a combination of stitches often referred to as shells.  My best guess is its telling you to place [2dc, ch2, 2dc]  in the ch sp once.  Sometimes in pattern notes they will define a sequence of stitches like 2dc, ch2, 2dc as a shell.  Then in the pattern where you have [2dc, ch2, 2dc] they sub in word shell.  Sometimes the first time you come across it in pattern they use [2dc, ch2, 2dc] and from then on use shell.  You see all kinds of things in patterns.