Mary Mac

How can I whiten a baby blanket?

Hello!

My acrylic white baby blanket looks kind of gray. I've machine washed it twice with liquid All detergent and there's no change. Is there a way to make it a brighter white? I know I shouldn't use chlorine bleach. I've read that hydrogen peroxide might work. Is that true? What about OxyClean or a bluing agent like Mrs. Stewart's? 

I'm running out of time to fix this before the baby shower! Help!

Acrylic is plastic.  The way plastic is made, a vat of molten plastic has color chemicals mixed into to it, in a still molten state, and then the still-molten plastic is extruded into a fine fiber, which gets added to other fibers from the same dye lot and made into yarn.  The color is not something that will wash out.

I totally get why it might look grey, I had a project where I ran out of dye lot x of white, so I had to buy dye lot y of the same brand & color name, got it home and it looked markedly grey next to my other white dye lot.  I ended up ripping the project, buying another color (pink), and starting over with pink stripes.  It was a sweater which I still have, and the pink interrupted the 2 whites enough it's hard to tell the difference.

So unless it is grey because it's dirty, it's going to stay grey.  It would be like trying to wash away the black on your car tires, sort of.  I would not try anything on it that you listed but Oxyclean which is safe, but it is not going to help.  Definitely don't try bluing, it probably won't 'stick' to plastic but that works by dying yellowed cotton slightly blue which makes it looks white(r) versus yellow.

The question is: Is that a new blanket? or older blanket?. Was that blanket white when was new?. If that blanket use to be white you can make that looking little whiter. If that blanket is new and that yarn was little gray from the start, you can not do anything. Because that is how that color came out after dye in factory.

Krys

Thanks for the responses! It's a new blanket, so it looks like I'll have to accept that there's nothing I can do at this point. I'll definitely make sure to compare the "whiteness" the next time I buy yarn.

Once I bought a LOT of yarn on sale in many different colors for my Amigurumi. I never bought that yarn before. I was short in my "stash" on thinner yarns. I think I paid for all that yarn about 100 Bucks - huge box. When I opened that box I could not believed my eyes. Almost  all those colors looked like they been rinsed in dish -washing water (little dirty).  I  could not used that yarn with exception for couple very dark colors:  chocolate brown & black. Couple years later I donate that whole box to Salvation Army.

I should returned that yarn right after I got that. I did not because I was thinking about shipping cost and I thought that maybe I will find "some" use for that yarn. I was wrong! LOL.

Krys

Edited by USpolishgirl