Jump to content
  • 0
RED DOG

Pattern Help

Question

This sounds so easy but I must be missing something.  This pattern is for a sweater.  Row 1, SC in the 3rd ch from the hook, *Work (SC,CH1,DC) into the next stitch.  Skipnext 2 sts. Rep from* all the way across ending with a SC in the last stitch.  I keep ending up with 2 sc at the end.  Could sure use some help with this.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Observation:  a sc at each end makes the pattern symmetrical(ish) on each end. 

Notice the row starts with a SC in the 3rd foundation ch from the hook (turning ch=2),  where normally if the first stitch in a foundation chain is SC, you SC into the 2nd ch from the hook so the turning chain is 1--I think the extra chain 'stands in for' a SC.

Is the pattern free on the net (so I could see more of the pattern, and what the end item looks like)?  Does row 2 account for that extra stitch, meaning do you stitch into that the extra turning chain at the end of the return pass?  

Worst case:  the problem is that you end up with an extra chain.  Leave it hanging, and do row 2 - does the count work out OK on row 2?  Pick out the extra chain later and forget about it.  Seriously, I often chain a couple extra if it's a long chain, and pick out the extra - it does not unravel from that end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

It does not work out on Row 2 and yes it is on the internet.

Can I send you the link where you can see what the sweater looks like.

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Observation:  a sc at each end makes the pattern symmetrical(ish) on each end. 

Notice the row starts with a SC in the 3rd foundation ch from the hook (turning ch=2),  where normally if the first stitch in a foundation chain is SC, you SC into the 2nd ch from the hook so the turning chain is 1--I think the extra chain 'stands in for' a SC.

Is the pattern free on the net (so I could see more of the pattern, and what the end item looks like)?  Does row 2 account for that extra stitch, meaning do you stitch into that the extra turning chain at the end of the return pass?  

Worst case:  the problem is that you end up with an extra chain.  Leave it hanging, and do row 2 - does the count work out OK on row 2?  Pick out the extra chain later and forget about it.  Seriously, I often chain a couple extra if it's a long chain, and pick out the extra - it does not unravel from that end.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I want to make sure that you are putting the sc, ch 1,dc all into one stitch of the previous row?  Then you skip 2 stitches of previous row and then put sc, ch 1, dc all in next stitch.  Skip 2 stitches.  The end of row should be sc, ch 1, dc all in the 4th stitch from end of previous row.  Skip next 2 stitches and sc in last stitch.

Yes it helps if we can see the pattern.  I find that when I have a problem with stitches on a row not working out I made a mistake on the previous row.

Edited by bgs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

https://www.yarnhookneedles.com/crochet-sweater/

11 minutes ago, bgs said:

I want to make sure that you are putting the sc, ch 1,dc all into one stitch of the previous row?  Then you skip 2 stitches of previous row and then put sc, ch 1, dc all in next stitch.  Skip 2 stitches.  The end of row should be sc, ch 1, dc all in the 4th stitch from end of previous row.  Skip next 2 stitches and sc in last stitch.

Yes it helps if we can see the pattern.  I find that when I have a problem with stitches on a row not working out I made a mistake on the previous row.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

So when starting Row 1 after I do my last SC, CH1,DC, I have 2 stitches left but should I have 3 stitches left, 2 I would skip and sc in the 3rd.  I was thinking I should have only one left.  Yes I am putting the stitches all in the one space and skipping 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Since pattern says you can adjust size by having ch a multiple of 3 I chained 18 and followed sequence across and I only wind up with 2 chains left at the end instead of needed 3 for the skip 2 and then sc.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks for the link.  I think the pattern may be in error.  I made a diagram with 18 initial chains, a multiple of 3 which goes along with the pattern foundation for all sizes.

There's a little creative license on my part when I got to the end--notice the pattern started (at the right side) with a SC and then the shell of sc, chain 1, dc in 1 stitch.  I ended it with a shell, omitted skipping the 2 chains after (since there was only 1 chain), and put a SC.  The 2 ends match in a 'bookend' way, which is common with a lot of patterns.

You you have 2 choices: pick out the 1 extra chain and follow my example, start over and add 1 more chain and follow the pattern to end in shell, skip 2, sc.  

I see Bgs just confirmed my sketch...

 

 

scan0001.jpg

Edited by Granny Square
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I read thru comments and someone else had the same issue.  Unfortunately there was no response from pattern author.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
17 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Thanks for the link.  I think the pattern may be in error.  I made a diagram with 18 initial chains, a multiple of 3 which goes along with the pattern foundation for all sizes.

There's a little creative license on my part when I got to the end--notice the pattern started (at the right side) with a SC and then the shell of sc, chain 1, dc in 1 stitch.  I ended it with a shell, omitted skipping the 2 chains after (since there was only 1 chain), and put a SC.  The 2 ends match in a 'bookend' way, which is common with a lot of patterns.

You you have 2 choices: pick out the 1 extra chain and follow my example, start over and add 1 more chain and follow the pattern to end in shell, skip 2, sc.  

I see Bgs just confirmed my sketch...

 

 

scan0001.jpg

 

17 hours ago, bgs said:

I read thru comments and someone else had the same issue.  Unfortunately there was no response from pattern author.

Hello Ladies

Thank you so much for all your help.  I really appreciate it.  I am going to use the option of adding one chain.

Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
21 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Thanks for the link.  I think the pattern may be in error.  I made a diagram with 18 initial chains, a multiple of 3 which goes along with the pattern foundation for all sizes.

There's a little creative license on my part when I got to the end--notice the pattern started (at the right side) with a SC and then the shell of sc, chain 1, dc in 1 stitch.  I ended it with a shell, omitted skipping the 2 chains after (since there was only 1 chain), and put a SC.  The 2 ends match in a 'bookend' way, which is common with a lot of patterns.

You you have 2 choices: pick out the 1 extra chain and follow my example, start over and add 1 more chain and follow the pattern to end in shell, skip 2, sc.  

I see Bgs just confirmed my sketch...

 

Hello Ladies

I guess I need a little more help.  I did the first row, skipped 2 sts at the end and did a sc in the last stitch.  I am now at the of Row 2 and I only have 2 sts left, so should I just skip 1 and sc in the last stitch.  Thanks

20 hours ago, bgs said:

I read thru comments and someone else had the same issue.  Unfortunately there was no response from pattern author

 

3 hours ago, RED DOG said:

 

Hello Ladies

Thank you so much for all your help.  I really appreciate it.  I am going to use the option of adding one chain.

Thanks again

 

3 hours ago, RED DOG said:

 

Hello Ladies

Thank you so much for all your help.  I really appreciate it.  I am going to use the option of adding one chain.

Thanks again

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, RED DOG said:
1 minute ago, RED DOG said:

Hello Ladies

Not sure if you got my last post.

I did the first row, with 3 stitches left over, I skipped 2 and sc in the last.  I am at the end of the Row 2 and have 2 stitches left over.  Should I skip 1 and crochet in the last sc. Not sure what to do.

Thanks

1 minute ago, RED DOG said:

 

 

 

1 minute ago, RED DOG said:

 

 

 

 

 

1 minute ago, RED DOG said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hi Red Dog, just saw your PM and posts here and see you are still having problems.

I'm going  to add row 2 to my original diagram to see if row 2 works with row 1 the way I suggested (not because I think it's right but it's already half done), and make another the way  you said you ended it by added a chain. 

I need to run off for a bit first tho--back in a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Hi Red Dog, just saw your PM and posts here and see you are still having problems.

I'm going  to add row 2 to my original diagram to see if row 2 works with row 1 the way I suggested (not because I think it's right but it's already half done), and make another the way  you said you ended it by added a chain. 

I need to run off for a bit first tho--back in a bit.

Thats fine.  I chained 79 and got the 3 stitches at the end but it not work for row 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Deleted and re-written.  With hook & yarn in hand, I chained 19 (so multiple of 3, plus 1), like you did, and it does work out for row 2 if you re-write/simplify row 2 (which is the row that repeats for most of the sweater) as :

"R2 – Skip the first 2 sts. *Work (SC, CH1, DC) into the CH 1 space of the previous row. Skip next 2 sts. Rep from * all the way across ending with a SC in the last stitch. CH 2. Turn"  Note, after row 2 the last stitch is the top chain of the turning chain from the row below.

Swatch is 3 rows (row 3=row 2) starting with 19 chains.

 

scan0002.jpg

Edited by Granny Square

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Actually, row 2 could be written even simpler as just "Work (SC, CH1, DC) into the CH 1 space of the previous row across, sc into the top turning chain from prior row, ch2"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
14 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Actually, row 2 could be written even simpler as just "Work (SC, CH1, DC) into the CH 1 space of the previous row across, sc into the top turning chain from prior row, ch2"

Hello Granny square,

You have put so much time and effort into this I really thank you for it.  So I still ch my 79 and I will get those 3 stitches at the end, skip2, crochet in the last sc.

Row 2 Ch2 skip 2 stitches, (sc, ch1 DC) into the ch1 space previous row across. Sc into the top turning chain from prior row, ch2, so when you start out row 1 there really is not a turning ch,  unless that is supposed to be called a turning ch. It says  sc  into the 3rd ch from the hook, so I should sc into that chain?  Sometimes I really get confused.  I just need that last chain on row 2.  Please let me know if I am looking at this correctly and thank you for your patience.

Mary (Red Dog)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

/

2 hours ago, RED DOG said:

Hello Granny square,

You have put so much time and effort into this I really thank you for it.  So I still ch my 79 and I will get those 3 stitches at the end, skip2, crochet in the last sc.

Row 2 Ch2 skip 2 stitches, (sc, ch1 DC) into the ch1 space previous row across. Sc into the top turning chain from prior row, ch2, so when you start out row 1 there really is not a turning ch,  unless that is supposed to be called a turning ch. It says  sc  into the 3rd ch from the hook, so I should sc into that chain?  Sometimes I really get confused.  I just need that last chain on row 2.  Please let me know if I am looking at this correctly and thank you for your patience.

Mary (Red Dog

After starting Row 2 and getting to the end of row 1 I have 2 stitches left what do I do with those before starting Row 2.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

You are very welcome.  This one really needed a swatch to see which of the 2 solutions worked best with the pattern.

Oops, you replied again as I was typing, good timing I guess.  In row 2, you are only putting a shell into a shell's chain space from the row below.  Except -after the last shell, the row ends with a sc in the last stitch of the row, which is the top chain of the turning chain at the beginning of the prior row.

The shells are 'fat', 3 stitches into 1, and take up a lot of room--this is why you are skipping stitches when you make them across the row (only using the chain spaces) and why, after the last shell, you skip to the last stitch in the row (the top of the below row's turning chain) and sc into that to finish the row.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

So I have 2 stitches left at the doctor of row 2 what do I do with those, sincethere is no ch2 there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I need to type that again.  I have 2 stitches leftover when I am ending row 2.  What do I do with those?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

You can edit a post, if you want to add or change something.  After you post, you can see a menu at the bottom: " + quote edit options" , if you hit 'edit' you can go back and make changes.  Example, I edited my post above with the sketch for some reason, and you can see at the bottom it says 'Edited by Granny Square at x date & time.'

You aren't stitching into every single stitch (to accommodate those fat shells).  Make the final SC into the last stitch, like it says.  I just made another (smaller) swatch with 3 rows, you are right, the last stitch you will stitch into for row 2 only is the first SC made in row 1, but for the rest it will be into the top of a turning chain.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...