Crocheting Queen Size

Handanj

Question

Hi. I’m actually the friend of a crocheter and wanted to get her some yarn to make a blanket for a queen sized bed. How many yards of yarn would I need to get for her? I can’t find a decent answer for queen sized, so I tried full sized and am getting nothing for that. Thanks for the help!

7 answers to this question

The amount of yarn required will depend on the pattern she uses and would be different for every pattern out there.  Most people that do not crochet do not realize that afghans require lots and lots of yarn which gets expensive fast.  You could try a search for crochet afghan patterns and note the sizes of the finished afghans versus the amount of yarn it says you would need but you need to use the same type of yarn as in the pattern.  Also do you know what type of yarn your friend would like?  There are acrylic, cotton, wool, mixes of wool, and many others.  I am allergic to wool.  Then there are many weights of yarn from a very thin yarn to very bulky.  

You can also buy a full kit from places like Herrschners.  Here is a full page of kits.

https://www.herrschners.com/category/herrschners/knit+and+crochet/kits/crochet.do?c%3D5.100059.102262.102268%26amp%3BProjectType%3DBlankets%2B%26amp%3B%2BAfghans%26amp%3Bpp%3D36%26amp%3Bsortby%3DnewArrivalsDescend%26amp%3Bcx%3D0

Alls you have to do is decide on the pattern and the size you want.  They give dimentions on the kits.  You get everything, but (maybe) the hook.  

This may be a better way to go.

You need to pick that pattern first. Different designs will need different amount of yarn. In that pattern they will tell you how much yarn is needed.

You probably can find many of patterns on PINTEREST or Google or  Etsy.

IF I were you I would not be buying that yarn without her (crocheter) opinion.

Krys

Agree with what everyone said above.  There are so many variables.  

Example, I just picked a 1 color "blanket" from Tampa Doll's link above, 'Fa La La Farmhouse', it was on sale from $45 to $35.  It is 44"x64", which is in the average neighborhood of most Afghan sizes.  This is (about) 1/4 the size of a queen blanket, which is 96" x 108" -so you'd need to buy 4 kits.

If you laid out four 44"x64" blankets, 2 adjacent to each other and the other 2 adjacent but directly below the other 2, the outline would measure 88" x 128".  Pointing this out because this has come up before, it 'seems' like you should only need 2 kits if you don't do the math.  (44"x64" = 2816 sq. in., 96" x 108" = 10,368 sq. in.--OK, so that's 3.68 kits.)

I am curious, is this for a present and a surprise for her?  If not talk to her, let her see the kits and maybe she can help you get the one she would like.  Now if it is for you, you still need to find out what she can do and what she is comfortable using.  Like me, I can not use wool, as it makes me itch.

I do hope we have been able to help you somewhat and not confuse you to much.

Granny Square I am glad I could help.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 1:51 PM, Tampa Doll said:

I am curious, is this for a present and a surprise for her?  

IF it is a  present and/or surprise. The best way to handle that it is to give her an option to get what she REALLY LIKES  is MONEY!, to be able to buy that :). Gifts card, check, cash...:)

Forgot to add above.  You need to take under considerations couple other things when thinking of buying yarn or a Kit for someone else to work with that. That is: a) Many crocheters have a preference what kind of yarns they like to work with & what they do not like. b) Buying a Kit: Same thing goes. Some  DESIGNS/patterns they would like to work with and some they would NOT!

You are talking about Queen size afghan/blanket. That is a LOT of work. Probably many weeks or even months. You probably would not want or like to give a crocheter a "Gift" that they do not like it for one reason or another..  

Krys