5 strands

Sueshe55

Question

1 answer to this question

Depends on the yardage you need.  I've only done 1 item with multiple strands and I used the same amt. of skeins as strands (was a blanket), so I haven't tried what I am about to suggest - but I would think if your skeins allow you to pull yarn from the center, you could get away with 3 skeins (2 from both ends, 1 from center or outside). 

Personally I hand-roll skeins into balls because I don't care for center-pull--the drawback I see from my above suggestion is when the center-pull skeins collapse, it will be a tangled mess (bad enough with 1 skein).

What does the pattern call for yarn-wise?  If it gives a total yardage - making up a round number, say 1000 yards, if your skein is a bit over 200 yards,  5 skeins is the way to go.  If your skeins are 400 yards, I'd try to wind 2 skeins into 2 equal balls, and leave the 3rd skein as is, but would probably be tough to do without a scale.  Again, made up numbers just used as an example to try splitting skeins, but you are going to need 5 clumps of yarn in some form to work with.

You may end up splicing skeins if you try to split 1 in 2 and it comes out unevenly - do NOT tie knots.  If you are using 100% wool, split splice is the way to go (real spit not required, tap water will do).  Or Russian join, or braided join for synthetic or cotton - there are YouTubes on all of these.