Crochet blanket

Nancyrg

Question

Hi! I crocheted two baby blankets with really soft yarn then decided to make the same blankets but bigger for older kids. The new ones came out totally lopsided with the ending row much longer than the beginning even though it had the same number of stitches. It seems like the chain at the beginning is too tight especially compared to the last row. What can I do? Thanks, Nancy

5 answers to this question

Welcome to the Ville, Nancy!  Unfortunately, "not really"--I started to explain how to rip out the foundation row but it would probably easier for you to find a video, there are several, look for 'unravelling crochet from the foundation end'.  It is not for the faint of heart, I would personally start over, but - not a lecture, but a word to the wise from someone who has made a lot of nice things over many decades but while ripping back and fixing plenty of errors in the process - often stop and 'admire' your work carefully, better to spot a mistake on row 15 than row 150.  If the chain itself was too tight, this should have been obvious in the first few inches of the first blanket.  I could see a person's tension varying day to day maybe, but just the chain?  Something else is going on.

The only thing I can think of that causes tight chains, is working into the back loop of the foundation chain.  Back loop requires working the chain using a larger hook than the rest of the fabric, and it's VERY fiddly.  I learned, and still use exclusively, to work into the foundation chain with the chain side facing me and using the top 1 loop of the chain--it  works great for anything from toys to garments to doilies, and does not pull the fabric tight, and looks fine.

Edited by Granny Square
fixed wording

Thanks, Granny Square! I did not know I shouldn’t go into both loops of the chain. I will try again and see if that solves the problem. 
i did try to take out from the beginning row but I gave up. It’s too hard! The blanket goes very fast so I’m okay with starting over but I think that’s also the reason I never stopped to measure because it just moved along. I won’t make that mistake again! Many thanks!

When I started crocheting I found that I tended to chain pretty tight.   Until I learned to loosen up a bit I found it helpful to use the next size or two up hook to make the foundation chain and then switch to the right hook for the project.  Through the years I have worked in the starting chain in various ways --- through both loops,  through top loop with chain facing you and anymore I turn the chain over and work through the bottom loop because it makes the bottom edge match the top edge.

You can 'go into' a chain 3 ways:  1) into the back bump which pulls it tight,  2) with the chain facing you, into the top loop as I described.  3) what I didn't mention, with the chain facing you, under the top 2 loops (which is the top loop + the back bump), leaving 1 loop at the bottom free - I don't think this is very common.  I've only used it on a project once, it didn't pull tight; I forgot the details but I thought it worked better on a particular edging for some reason.

Edit, we are talking chain here, not a stitch - normally you would stick the hook under the top 2 loops of a stitch, altho there are variations like BLO or FLO (back or front loop only) for usually decorative reasons.

Edited by Granny Square