Three working yarns twisting as I crochet

Scottaroo

Question

Hello! I've just learned how to crochet within the last month or so, and I've begun a project that has three colors of yarn. Instead of tying them off every 2 rows, I've been carrying them up the side. What I've found now, though, is that the yarn is twisting up really bad and I'm not sure how to handle untangling it and how to prevent it in the future. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Twisting Issue

5 answers to this question

My advice would be that you just need to keep an eye on that, do not let that tangle way to much before you fix that..  You need to on-twist that yarn every  row or so, when is needed. Unfortunately those yarns will "twist" each time you get to the end of a row and TURN your work to be able to start crocheting next row. Because of that turning your work.. your yarns get twisted. That is the way it goes.. Just a little inconvenience.. :).

That is probably a lot easier & faster to do than cutting of your yarn each time you are changing colors. Than you would need to deal with all those yarn ends to weave them.

That is my opinion,

Krys 

That happens when you turn the piece the same  way each time.  Once you get it straightened out, alternate turning the piece right to left in 1 row, then left to right the next row as you go.  That crosses the ends (but just once, not a tangle), then uncrosses them, which avoids the mess.  It's easy to see which way to turn it if you put it down and pick it up again.

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

That happens when you turn the piece the same  way each time.  Once you get it straightened out, alternate turning the piece right to left in 1 row, then left to right the next row as you go.  That crosses the ends (but just once, not a tangle), then uncrosses them, which avoids the mess.  It's easy to see which way to turn it if you put it down and pick it up again.

Will that work with 3 colors of yarn?. I thought that would work only with 2 colors. I am talking about turning crochet piece different way.

Krys

Edit, I was thinking I'd worked 3 colors this way, but just remember I didn't carry them up the side on that project, the ends became fringe.  I don't think have, or would, carry more than 1 color up the side.

Another trick along with the crossing thing - I crochet sitting on a couch, so I put 1 color on either side of me - with the skeins split apart, it's easier to see if 1 skein is misbehaving at the uncrossing point. But this should also work, I'd think, with more than 1 skein on either side of you...

Edited by Granny Square

Here is an idea if you can not deal with on-twisting all those yarns. Pick ONE color and after you done with each row/rows of that color just cut that of (leave enough yarn to weave that in). Keep doing that each time you are working with same  color. Each time after you done with that color put that away so will not be twisting with the other two colors)  That way you will be carrying only ONE color of yarn always.. The other two colors of yarn (carrying ONLY ONE color always) you will be able to  turn your work at the end of each row, each time different way (as was explained above) That way you will not get anything twisted. You will not have to on-twist anything. YES, that can ONLY work using two colors not three colors of yarn. And yes you will need to weave all those ends of yarn of that one color that you been cutting of when you were done with that color.

By doing that you will still save your self a lot of time on weaving yarn ends. You only be weaving ends of yarn from that ONE color NOT all those three colors. You will cut down 2/3 of your work on weaving all those ends from those three colors. And you will NOT need to waist your time on on-twisting all that yarn constantly.

It is up to you what you will want to do..? :). That is just an idea to make your work little simpler & maybe little faster. I am not sure about that "faster" part if you will include weaving all those ends of yarn from that one color that you would be cutting off LOL

Krys